• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It’s getting to be winter time is there anyway how I could keep it warm in the winter I have a heat mat on the side but I don’t think that’s enough

Joemaster

5561870A-1A1A-4A34-8FC3-180C5A66E850.jpeg
image.jpg

Joemaster

Glad to see you changed the substrate, that looks much more suitable. Again the if you are comfortable they are comfortable rule would apply. That heat mat should be plenty as long as your house is heated. However, if it would help your worries, use a space heater to warm whatever room you have the t in.
Can I put Styrofoam around the terrarium and that could help insulate it would that work?

Phobik1

3 Year Member
You need to be able to maintain the temp inside what ever you are using. I have an old snake rack w heat tape on each level. I will be using a thermostat in one empty tub that will show me the current ambiamt temp. I will turn on the heat tape and set it so my temp inside the tub is at 80 degrees F.
I want to make sure it stays 78 to 82 degrees. Nuthin too hot. Just warm enough to keep them active and eating. You also have to keep a closer eye on the water. You dont want to go over or under depending on the agee and type of critters you have.

Sometimes the top of your basic refridgerator is a perfect spot.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At night usually usually gets down to 71

Thats not too cold. :) No external heat source is needed. Tarantulas actually do better in cool temps. The warmer they get, the more they can dehydrate. Also, cooler temps slow their metabolism. They grow slower and possibly live longer. :) I wouldn't worry about 71°f. :) Perfect temp. Room temp is PERFECT for all tarantula species EXCEPT for Megaphobema species (they need to be kept cooler at about 60-65°f and do not do too well in warmer temps).

Latest posts