• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Isopods

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, as I promised to not pick up any more spiders over the winter at the shows, Buuuutttt I began picking up some interesting little guys: Isopods. Isopods are actually crustaceans versus arachnids so I have a clear conscience that I have kept my promise.

I now have:

Powder Blue Isopods
Dwarf White Isopods
Giant Orange Isopods
Grey Porcellio (Porceliio scaber)

Isopods are nature's tank cleaners and orginally purchased them to keep on hand in the event that I needed them to assist with any problem enclosures. Over time, I started to really appreciate them on their own and now have them all set up in their own enclosures. All of them are doing great and are starting to multiply. If anyone knows the scientific names for the three species that I have listed above, please share as I am striking out finding out much information on them. Thanks.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Be cautious using larger species in enclosures. Some of them will target molting arthropods. Still have yet to hear of a dwarf speices doing so though.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good point MatthewM1. Also need to watch for stress. I had that happen to my H. minax after I introduced them. I recommend using them to do the cleanup but remove them if possible once they are done.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Interesting I havent had any izzues with that yet. If you dont alreay have some I would recommend some spring tails too. The combination of the two is phenomenal. I havent had to pull a bolus out of most of my enclosures in a while.

MuddyBoots

3 Year Member
Heya, do you know if isopods can have joint colonies (multiple types in the same overall colony) and/or get along and breed side by side? I have just started getting into terrariums and wanted to try a vulgare pill bug colony, but I am pretty sure I probably have both nasatums and vulgares in this thing. Do you think that would cause problems?

Sorry to ask in your thread in addition to making my own. I have had the darnedest time trying to find an isopod forum and info has been scarce, at least as far as my search has gone. They seem to only get a tiny bit of attention as subforums on sites dedicated to other things.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have read from several sources not to mix species. It appears that one species will "out compete" the others. I have not been able to find if there are other concerns (such as soil PH impact, cross species reproduction, or even aggressive territorealism?). But generally the advice is consistent. Do not mix species.

MuddyBoots

3 Year Member
I have read from several sources not to mix species. It appears that one species will "out compete" the others. I have not been able to find if there are other concerns (such as soil PH impact, cross species reproduction, or even aggressive territorealism?). But generally the advice is consistent. Do not mix species.

Thanks for the response! Much appreciated. I couldn't find anything on how the species interact with each other, figured only other keepers/breeders might know from experience. Part of me was sort of hoping they might breed and make hybrids or something, but I think that is a no-go. I've seen a few nasatum try to do the kinky jump-and-bite thing on some large vulgares and it looked like they were shot down. Oh well.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hopefully, someone out here has some experiences with it directly and can share.

Latest posts