• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this tank okay for a GBB?

ALD

3 Year Member
I have a Zilla 5.5 Critter Cage- it has the sliding metal screen on top.
I have read some T's can chew through screens on tanks- but this one
is metal, so I don't think that would be an issue- Thoughts?
As for my next concern - feet getting stuck in screen-
I think this would not be a concern for a GBB as it should not
climb up like that. Or am I mistaken?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
GBBs climb a lot. There is debate over whether or not to call them “semi-arboreal.” My advice would be to do away with the screen at some point. It doesn’t necessarily have to be done tomorrow though.

As for size, the 5.5 is perfect for an adult. If you start with a sling go smaller and move up to the 5.5 once its full grown or close to it.

ALD

3 Year Member
GBBs climb a lot. There is debate over whether or not to call them “semi-arboreal.” My advice would be to do away with the screen at some point. It doesn’t necessarily have to be done tomorrow though.

As for size, the 5.5 is perfect for an adult. If you start with a sling go smaller and move up to the 5.5 once its full grown or close to it.
What should I do with the screen? Is there something I could cover it with from the inside? I know some people remove the screen and replace it with Plexi glass with holes drilled. I'm not that crafty~ is there a simpler way?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Terrestrial tarantulas do get their feet stuck in the screens. However all my GBB's have screen tops...I have never seen them walking upside down on the screen. They rub their butt on it and web it up though.
1516394259285576997003.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If the screen is bonded, where the crossing wires are physically seamlessly connected, they won't get stuck. If they are simply knitted into place, the claws might get stuck.

If the screen isn't bonded, you can spray it with urethane clear coat and shake it if it completely clogs the holes.

The surface tension of the paint will fill in the gaps that otherwise might trap a claw. Obviously let it dry for 24 hours and thoroughly soak and rinse it off with distilled water just in case.

Most modern cages are built with bonded screens because it's a known and a solved problem.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I plan on setting a gbb up pure arboreal, with a fake bush that reaches the top, and round white boulders set in excavator clay at the bottom. Should be fun to see what she does. Out of two I had previously , one was a terrestrial, the other stayed up high in a web hammok, right next to the lid. Both were males.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I plan on setting a gbb up pure arboreal, with a fake bush that reaches the top, and round white boulders set in excavator clay at the bottom. Should be fun to see what she does. Out of two I had previously , one was a terrestrial, the other stayed up high in a web hammok, right next to the lid. Both were males.
Well in the wild I was reading, they are in bushes about 2 or 3 feet off the ground a lot....so....there ya go. lol