• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this pre-molt behavior?

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
The past two days my G. Rosea has become quite the architect. I have been unsuccessful in uploading a video to show exactly what i am talking about, but i will do my best to explain. I have had this T for a little over a month and it hasnt molted yet which i know is normal for this slow growing T. It is a little under 1" dls. It has taken literally everything on one side of the enclosure and webbed it to the other half of the enclosure. Leaving the other half of the cage empty and touching the bottom. Im sure if the cage was deeper it would have continued digger deeper. Im wandering if it could be making itself a comfortable place to molt, or if it just decided to do some rearranging. I have witnessed it climbing the "hill" it created with a ball of dirt several times, and then carefully places said ball into calculated area. Its actually amazing seeing how much work this little thing has done. Im impressed! None the less, i was just curious if any body else has noticed or heard of a tarantula acting this way. All input is greatly appriciated. Thank you

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The past two days my G. Rosea has become quite the architect. I have been unsuccessful in uploading a video to show exactly what i am talking about, but i will do my best to explain. I have had this T for a little over a month and it hasnt molted yet which i know is normal for this slow growing T. It is a little under 1" dls. It has taken literally everything on one side of the enclosure and webbed it to the other half of the enclosure. Leaving the other half of the cage empty and touching the bottom. Im sure if the cage was deeper it would have continued digger deeper. Im wandering if it could be making itself a comfortable place to molt, or if it just decided to do some rearranging. I have witnessed it climbing the "hill" it created with a ball of dirt several times, and then carefully places said ball into calculated area. Its actually amazing seeing how much work this little thing has done. Im impressed! None the less, i was just curious if any body else has noticed or heard of a tarantula acting this way. All input is greatly appriciated. Thank you

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
Absolutely! Wait till you get a B. albopilosum, they are crazy little bulldozers.
One of my favorite things about slings is how they rearrange things to their liking. I no longer spend hours decorating sling enclosures, they insist on having things their way and who are we to argue, all my work to make it attractive doesn't impress the little brats at all lol!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yep, my son's rosea buries his waterdish ever day. after my B. albo he's the next most active earth mover. Mine actually slows down on shifting his enclosure around when he goes into premolt,

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
Haha i love it! Your right though, not one of the enclosures housing my slings looks anything at all like how it did when i put them together. Really all my enclosures have been turned into clubhouses haha. The G. Rosea now has the entire left half of its enclosure packed from foot to lid with all the substrate, im impressed because its pretty much perfectly symetrical. Its amazing how nature is just pre-designed to create art.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Just watch for it to stop eating and have a plump shiny abdomen that is nearly black. Our b vagans abdomen is usually black about 4 days before a molt and lays a molt mat at the time it needs to molt.

I usually get webbing on the water dish too which syphons out all the water.

Latest posts