• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this normal red knee behavior?

MellieKat

Hi all! I just wanted to ask about my Mexican red knee. I've had him(I don't really know the sex yet) for about 6 weeks. He is not my first, but has been my most interesting. Is it normal for them to like hanging out on the wall? He comes down to eat, but goes right back up. He has 3 places I see him the most. I thought they were supposed to burrow? I just put him in a new tank with better substrate, but nope, on the wall... Is this ok? Am I doing something wrong? My first tarantula was an OBT. Loved him so much, but sadly lost him to a bad molt after we had to use our wood stove. I know now to watch humidity. Just want to be sure my beautiful friend has all he needs to be happy! Thanks!

MellieKat

Adult red knees like very dry substrate. Mature males wander.
Is there a way to tell male from female without a molt? I have a picture of underbelly.
IMG_20211005_054720559_HDR.jpg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
If you can, more pics of the enclosure and substrate may help.

I have had tarantulas for about 6 months, so I am by no means an expert. But many of my tarantulas have climbed walls, even the acrylic top when in an enclosure for the first time. That could be it. My theory is that they just don't know what is down on the ground that could eat them so they take their time assessing the situation.

As said above I believe they originate from a dry habitat so a dry substrate is important

As for ventral sexing of your tarantula, I will leave that to someone else as I suck at it. But I suspect a closer picture is needed.

Tarantulafeets

Is there a way to tell male from female without a molt? I have a picture of underbelly.View attachment 60876
Correct me if I'm wrong, but... it looks like its in an arboreal enclosure? If so you'll need to change it to a proper smaller terrestrial setup with less height so that it can't fall. As for the climbing, they don't settle in right away, so you need to wait a few days to a week.

MellieKat

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... it looks like its in an arboreal enclosure? If so you'll need to change it to a proper smaller terrestrial setup with less height so that it can't fall. As for the climbing, they don't settle in right away, so you need to wait a few days to a week.
Yes, it was an arboreal at that point. I just moved him into a more appropriate enclosure, a 10 gallon filled about half way with a much dryer substrate. He spent most of the night exploring the ground. He has taken up residency in one corner now, seems happier. I'm still learning! But he has been very patient with me. I'll get some new pictures of his enclosure up soon.