• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this normal behavior?

Calico

3 Year Member
My juvenile a.chalcodes just came out from hiding last week after a month of hiding to molt. It has eaten great and shown no signs of having problems. Still haven't seen the molt, it has it hidden in the burrow.
The only thing I've noticed is when it is out of the burrow, it seems to stay in a position with his abdomen in the air. And when he goes into his burrow, he will stay just inside with his abdomen sticking out. For hours.
What does this mean or should I be concerned?

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Can you post a pic? some of mine will raise there abdomen in the air while handling or during a transfer, but this is only for a brief moment and its from me irritating them. If its molted for sure them don't stress it. They position themselves all sorts of odd ways after a molt, just stretching and adjusting themselves to there new exoskeleton.

Calico

3 Year Member
Can you post a pic? some of mine will raise there abdomen in the air while handling or during a transfer, but this is only for a brief moment and its from me irritating them. If its molted for sure them don't stress it. They position themselves all sorts of odd ways after a molt, just stretching and adjusting themselves to there new exoskeleton.

Here's my baby, striking the pose.

Attachments

• 20170720_193859.jpg
    20170720_193859.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Here's my baby, striking the pose.
Yeah that's the look I get when I've disturbed mine in the past. Just means its well aware of a threat or ready for anything that may come. Not sure why it would be on edge though, looks healthy and in proper conditions. Just make sure it has clean fresh water and keep a eye on the little guy.

Calico

3 Year Member
Yeah that's the look I get when I've disturbed mine in the past. Just means its well aware of a threat or ready for anything that may come. Not sure why it would be on edge though, looks healthy and in proper conditions. Just make sure it has clean fresh water and keep a eye on the little guy.

Thank you! He is currently sitting on my table where I do my computer work. I guess I'll have to find a quieter place for him.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen this same posture from my A. Chalcodes after a molt. Kormath is right. I think he is "just getting his bearings again". Give him 2-3 weeks and he'll be out full time, I suspect. (Beautiful spider.). Mine's a juvie too. Could be a match made in heaven. :p

Calico

3 Year Member
I've seen this same posture from my A. Chalcodes after a molt. Kormath is right. I think he is "just getting his bearings again". Give him 2-3 weeks and he'll be out full time, I suspect. (Beautiful spider.). Mine's a juvie too. Could be a match made in heaven. :p

He seems to be hanging out more in the last day or so. Goes in the burrow and out a few minutes later. Right now he's just chillin' half in, half out checking things out. Now I just wish he'd kick that molt out so I can see if he or she once and for all! I just automatically say "he".
And, thank you, I think he's beatiful also. (Never thought I'd be saying that about a spider) :eek::T:

Calico

3 Year Member
Oh Calico - so nice to 'hear' you refer to your spider as 'my baby'! I remember when you first logged in - any plans to visit your local exotic pet show or order another online?

LOL! It's amazing, I do refer to him as my baby all the time. I absolutely love him! Who'd have thought. And I really missed seeing him everyday while he was hiding out. Was so excited when he finally emerged.
My plan was to go to a show earlier this month but had to change my plans and wasn't able to go. I did go to a local reptile shop and saw an adult b.albopilosum (which is one type I am looking for) and was so tempted. But I don't want an adult (at this time ;)). And don't think I'm ready to take on a sling. Am looking for another juvie. And I have been visiting Jamie's Tarantulas page regularly to check more out. One day..... (she says longingly) If there are any other online sellers anyone recommends, I'd love to hear about them.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
LOL! It's amazing, I do refer to him as my baby all the time. I absolutely love him! Who'd have thought. And I really missed seeing him everyday while he was hiding out. Was so excited when he finally emerged.
My plan was to go to a show earlier this month but had to change my plans and wasn't able to go. I did go to a local reptile shop and saw an adult b.albopilosum (which is one type I am looking for) and was so tempted. But I don't want an adult (at this time ;)). And don't think I'm ready to take on a sling. Am looking for another juvie. And I have been visiting Jamie's Tarantulas page regularly to check more out. One day..... (she says longingly) If there are any other online sellers anyone recommends, I'd love to hear about them.
Jamie's is great and shipping is cheap too, she ships from California to ohio in 2 days for $15, ive ordered a dozen Ts this way and never had a problem, from 1/2" slings to 5" adults, always a great experience. I've ordered from net.bug and fearnot tarantulas as well and both had great service, a lil more expensive but I got my Ts alive and well so can't complain. I just hate paying high shipping unless I have to.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jamie's is great and shipping is cheap too, she ships from California to ohio in 2 days for $15, ive ordered a dozen Ts this way and never had a problem, from 1/2" slings to 5" adults, always a great experience. I've ordered from net.bug and fearnot tarantulas as well and both had great service, a lil more expensive but I got my Ts alive and well so can't complain. I just hate paying high shipping unless I have to.
My experiences with Jamies have been totally opposite. Poor packaging, slow shipping. I'd rather pay the 15 bucks or so extra for shipping, have better packaging, and not deal with the USPS, by ordering from a better vendor like fearnottarantula, or net-bug.net.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
My experiences with Jamies have been totally opposite. Poor packaging, slow shipping. I'd rather pay the 15 bucks or so extra for shipping, have better packaging, and not deal with the USPS, by ordering from a better vendor like fearnottarantula, or net-bug.net.
That's odd, every package I've got was in perfect condition, all foam insulation packed nice and tight, heat/cold packs if necessary and never a dead or unhealthy T, ive ordered over 15 Ts from her and always happy, ill order on a monday and get my package on my doorstep thursday morning. I've read other wise but from personal experience they've been great for me.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's odd, every package I've got was in perfect condition, all foam insulation packed nice and tight, heat/cold packs if necessary and never a dead or unhealthy T, ive ordered over 15 Ts from her and always happy, ill order on a monday and get my package and its on my doorstep thursday morning. I've read other wise but from personal experience they've been great for me.
I've only had one T order i was happy with from her. And it was an accidental order. I was pricing T's and left one in my cart and forgot about it when i ordered pinhead lats. Packaging on that one was great, numerous layers of moist paper towel in the vial, foam lined box with padding inside. No complaints on that one.

Last 2 orders were not good at all. 1 layer of moist paper towel in the vial, way too much room for a T to be tossed around in side if the box was mishandled etc. Then the last order, and the last one i'll make for T's from her, had 1 layer of towel in the vial, and then the vial was wrapped in dripping wet paper towels, blocking off most of the air flow. Both of those T's arrived alive, lived for 3 days before passing. They wouldn't do anything about it, the 48 hours had lapsed, even though the T's weren't stable when they arrived. That lack of care is why i won't order anything from her again.

Calico

3 Year Member
@kormath, that is awful! That's why I would like to avoid online ordering because I have heard horror stories before. Not from Jamie's but different places. Even the guy that I saw the curly hair from said his spiders sometimes arrive injured, ie: missing legs and such. He says he only orders locally now. I would hate to have that happen. So sorry :(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@kormath, that is awful! That's why I would like to avoid online ordering because I have heard horror stories before. Not from Jamie's but different places. Even the guy that I saw the curly hair from said his spiders sometimes arrive injured, ie: missing legs and such. He says he only orders locally now. I would hate to have that happen. So sorry :(
i've only had 3 bad experiences out of about 30 orders. There are vendors you can trust and some you can't. I think it's safe to say anyone that ships USPS should be avoided (not just because it's a felony), all 3 of those bad experiences came from 2 vendors, both used USPS :p

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I've only had one T order i was happy with from her. And it was an accidental order. I was pricing T's and left one in my cart and forgot about it when i ordered pinhead lats. Packaging on that one was great, numerous layers of moist paper towel in the vial, foam lined box with padding inside. No complaints on that one.

Last 2 orders were not good at all. 1 layer of moist paper towel in the vial, way too much room for a T to be tossed around in side if the box was mishandled etc. Then the last order, and the last one i'll make for T's from her, had 1 layer of towel in the vial, and then the vial was wrapped in dripping wet paper towels, blocking off most of the air flow. Both of those T's arrived alive, lived for 3 days before passing. They wouldn't do anything about it, the 48 hours had lapsed, even though the T's weren't stable when they arrived. That lack of care is why i won't order anything from her again.
I'll have to watch out for that, your not the first I've heard that from, but took the risk on a couple slings last summer and ever since ive ordered a dozen times, always got lucky I guess. I just got a T.stirmi from her about 3 weeks ago and it was packed same as always. Wonder if it's employees not doing their jobs or if they just got there stuff together recently.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
hi C...Tom's Big Spiders has a list of vendors he recommends...I have ordered from Jamie(2x and packed well both times - the roaches died and she replaced them FOC; sad to hear others have had problems - maybe it is certain employees)) ; from Swifts Invertebrates (Kelly is in Mississippi) and from Fear Not(but they are in Virginia so you probably dont want to ship that far)...all that being said I am in South Carolina and my Ts from Jamie were fine cross country - have not had any problems with any of those three...however, and one of my herp friends said this, be patient, wait for a show...no shipping and meet the vendor, and on Sunday(or last day) supply vendors reduce prices to unload stock before transporting home...I know I got a good deal on my GBB at the last show when I talked to the vendor...and so much fun to meet all those people. We are not alone crazy!
My B albipilosum is very much a display spider ... but which one I find most fascinating changes from day to day...and they do have personalities - wait until you have more than one to compare!

Latest posts