• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this lid safe for a tarantula

TarantulaNoob17

Hello tarantula experts, I am in the process of preparing for my very first tarantula, a Mexican red knee, but while I was researching, I heard from multiple sources that it is not safe to put your tarantula in an enclosure with a mesh lid, I would like some confirmation on weather the lid I have is safe, I definitely don’t want my tarantula to get hurt so please let me know if this lid is safe, I will provide a photo of it

Attachments

• 9CB95C7B-17BE-4F6F-8EF1-11EEED856D56.jpeg
    9CB95C7B-17BE-4F6F-8EF1-11EEED856D56.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 51

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello tarantula experts, I am in the process of preparing for my very first tarantula, a Mexican red knee, but while I was researching, I heard from multiple sources that it is not safe to put your tarantula in an enclosure with a mesh lid, I would like some confirmation on weather the lid I have is safe, I definitely don’t want my tarantula to get hurt so please let me know if this lid is safe, I will provide a photo of it
I would echo what @Aracnoenthusiast has said and would add that if the intention is to use a glass tank, then cross ventilation is very difficult (unless you have a glass drill bit). From an aesthetic perspective, glass tanks are better than plastic, but plastic does give you much more options to have proper cross ventilation. If you do choose the glass tank option, keep the substrate really dry (which is what B hamorii like anyway) but with reduced cross ventilation it is even more important to keep the sub dry. Hope that helps.

E

ExMember

Good advice from @Phil and @Aracnoenthusiast . The biggest problem with mesh lids is where the mesh overlaps ( the x pattern) because the spider can get it's claws stuck which could lead to a lost leg (not a HUGE issue as it will grow back) or a fall injury ( very bad! T's are fragile) .

I have seen mesh lids that don't overlap and have heard they are reasonably safe. These are usually some kind of metal and have diamond shaped holes.

How big is the tarantula? That's a pretty big tank!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
FWIW, I bought a 10ga screen-type lid for our Leopard gecko from Petco that has non-overlapping mesh screening (1/4" grid) that appears like it would be T-safe

E

ExMember

It's the overlaps that tarantulas can get their tarsal claws stuck in. Anything that is solid is much better for a spider.

Latest posts