• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a ruptured abdomen?

SilverSchreffler

Hello, I just signed up to this forum. This is Abigail. She is a Rose Hair trantula and she is at least 13 years old. She was my husband's before we got married but we are both very fond of her. She molted this morning and has not flopped over yet which isn't unusual for her but I noticed this sort of bubble on the under side of her stomach and I have never seen anything like this before when she has molted in the past. She wasn't disturbed during her molt but this almost looks like a blister or a scab that drying? I got as decent of a photo of it as I could without disturbing her but what is this? Does this look like she ruptured her abdomen somehow and if so what can I do for her? Could this just be from molting? I am so, so worried about her. Any insight would be much appreciated.
20211122_132227.jpg

x_raphael_xx

Sorry, I'm not knowledgable enough to give advice.
It looks like where the booklungs are.

I assume if she's not bleeding she should be okay? Has she started moving at all.

SilverSchreffler

Sorry, I'm not knowledgable enough to give advice.
It looks like where the booklungs are.

I assume if she's not bleeding she should be okay? Has she started moving at all.
She has moved a little but is unable flop over and I discovered after she moved that she was bleeding I found a vet in my area that would see her and we are there with her now.

SilverSchreffler

Yes, hoping for the best. Please let us know.
Thank you. The vet patched her up with glue and said she will have a chance that way but she lost a lot of hemolymph. He said it will be largely up to her from here. She will need to eat in the next few days and if she won't it's unlikely she will pull through. I am going to watch her very closely and and offer her something to eat as soon as her fangs harden. I have water near her too. The vet said it would be good if she drank. I really, really hope she makes it. She is at least right side up now but the vet had to put her that way.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Thank you. The vet patched her up with glue and said she will have a chance that way but she lost a lot of hemolymph. He said it will be largely up to her from here. She will need to eat in the next few days and if she won't it's unlikely she will pull through. I am going to watch her very closely and and offer her something to eat as soon as her fangs harden. I have water near her too. The vet said it would be good if she drank. I really, really hope she makes it. She is at least right side up now but the vet had to put her that way.
Hi there
She won't eat for at least 2-3weeks as she will need to harden off her fangs first.Whoever is telling you to feed adult tarantula few days after moult do not know what they are talking about!!
All she needs is a drink to replace the fluids she has lost during her moult.
Tarantulas need good amount of fluids to be able to move(think hydraulics) if she lost too much fluids she will need help as no matter how close the waterdish is she will be unable to go and drink on her own.
If she is not moving put her carapace over a shallow waterdish or flip her on her back and apply drops of water straight on the mouthparts.
Glue is not ideal for stopping bleeding as it can cause complications on next moult.Usually the practice is to seal wounds with cornstarch (cornflour).Not sure if this is a good idea in your ase as book lungs are very close but maybe someone with more experience can chime in on that.
Other important thing is to house her in something smaller with very little height to it as any falls no matter how small they are may result in the wound to open again.
Hope your tarantula pulls through but she won't be out of the woods till she moults again successfully .
Regards Konstantin

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Back in the 80s it was said to use glue to stop the bleed. I patched up one of my spiders and it worked great. However she ended up stuck in her molt and couldn't get out about a year later when she molted. Corn starch, baking soda, or flour work great for spiders. You can even purchase bleed stop, it's more expensive then the above items mentioned. Hopefully your spider will be OK since it just molted and hasn't developed another exoskeleton quite yet.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Back in the 80s it was said to use glue to stop the bleed. I patched up one of my spiders and it worked great. However she ended up stuck in her molt and couldn't get out about a year later when she molted. Corn starch, baking soda, or flour work great for spiders. You can even purchase bleed stop, it's more expensive then the above items mentioned. Hopefully your spider will be OK since it just molted and hasn't developed another exoskeleton quite yet.
Question Clownie : only cause I am a doctor.....Tissue glue or super glue on tissue, including non living tissue like fingernails, degrades and flakes off. In the case of fingernails, it never lasts more than 5 weeks. Try it sometime. Put super glue on a turtle shell or your fingernail. It will be gone after one month. If that is a medical truism then how is it possible for glue to stick around long enough to affect the next molt on a tarantula?
With no experience on that one, I would guess that the vet made a good decision.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Question Clownie : only cause I am a doctor.....Tissue glue or super glue on tissue, including non living tissue like fingernails, degrades and flakes off. In the case of fingernails, it never lasts more than 5 weeks. Try it sometime. Put super glue on a turtle shell or your fingernail. It will be gone after one month. If that is a medical truism then how is it possible for glue to stick around long enough to affect the next molt on a tarantula?
With no experience on that one, I would guess that the vet made a good decision.
I took my dead Grammostola rosea to school and did a autopsy on it for science class. (Evil cat knocked over her enclosure off a shelf). I was a wee little guy back then (14). ;)
There was a hard mass between both old and new exoskeleton. When I got it separated it remained on the old exo. Digging into the mass we came to the conclusion that the glue was still between both exos. Now glue these days may be different then 1986...probably alot better. I still would rather use something more natural on my spider.

Btw I break out badly when they use liquid bandage on me instead of old fashioned stitches. Seams like all the Dr.s don't like to stitch anymore.:D

MBullock

3 Year Member
I took my dead Grammostola rosea to school and did a autopsy on it for science class. (Evil cat knocked over her enclosure off a shelf). I was a wee little guy back then (14). ;)
There was a hard mass between both old and new exoskeleton. When I got it separated it remained on the old exo. Digging into the mass we came to the conclusion that the glue was still between both exos. Now glue these days may be different then 1986...probably alot better. I still would rather use something more natural on my spider.

Btw I break out badly when they use liquid bandage on me instead of old fashioned stitches. Seams like all the Dr.s don't like to stitch anymore.:D
you're probably allergic to cyanoacrylate, it's a rather rare allergy. I took a knife to the face back in 2016 and used plain superglue to close the wound, and it actually did better than the guy at urgent care when my throat got ripped open after a fall. liquid bandage at the doc is actually basically just plain superglue, with a minor molecular tweak that prevents it from looking like a scab like plain superglue does.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Well, this thread is very interesting, although I was a bit distressed about what initiated it ( an injured T).

I have increasingly heard about the medical use of super glue and it's modified versions.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Well, this thread is very interesting, although I was a bit distressed about what initiated it ( an injured T).

I have increasingly heard about the medical use of super glue and it's modified versions.
IMO plain superglue is superior in effect but uglier looking, it sucked because I had this gross looking glue scab on my face and everyone looked at me like I had herpes XD

Latest posts