• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there a thing as too much…environment wise?

Sbirtell1

Winter has been brutal here by me. And I know everyone said T’s are highly adaptable to our environment. But what is considered too much of something, or too little (say heat/humidity wise). Sorry for a lot of questions, I skimmed through the forums and couldn’t find directly what I was looking for. And well google….it’s google with the same general care for specific T’s That I’m well aware of.

I guess what I’m trying to say is even with the heat being on, I’ve seen the room temp drop down to 68. I’ve kept my girl within the ambient temps for her specific type of T. I still got paranoid so I picked up a heating pad for one side (been keepin the temp around 85 with a thermometer/probe). She use to be in that area huddled up against the glass under the log hide. Now she seems more relaxed under that hide with the UTH. I have another hide on the cool end for her if she wanted to thermoregulate. But with the heat pad, it bumped up the humidity in to the 90’s. The coco fiber bedding has been staying moist and not drying out. Is that ok or will the constant wetness cause issues?

Again you all are amazing, thanks for being there for us newbs. Lol

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Winter has been brutal here by me. And I know everyone said T’s are highly adaptable to our environment. But what is considered too much of something, or too little (say heat/humidity wise). Sorry for a lot of questions, I skimmed through the forums and couldn’t find directly what I was looking for. And well google….it’s google with the same general care for specific T’s That I’m well aware of.

I guess what I’m trying to say is even with the heat being on, I’ve seen the room temp drop down to 68. I’ve kept my girl within the ambient temps for her specific type of T. I still got paranoid so I picked up a heating pad for one side (been keepin the temp around 85 with a thermometer/probe). She use to be in that area huddled up against the glass under the log hide. Now she seems more relaxed under that hide with the UTH. I have another hide on the cool end for her if she wanted to thermoregulate. But with the heat pad, it bumped up the humidity in to the 90’s. The coco fiber bedding has been staying moist and not drying out. Is that ok or will the constant wetness cause issues?

Again you all are amazing, thanks for being there for us newbs. Lol
Hi,
Please remind us the species of your T as well as a few pictures of the enclosure and heat pad.
Personally, I wouldn’t worry about the temperature dropping to 68 at night, it is really not bad especially if warmer during the day.

Sbirtell1

Hi,
Please remind us the species of your T as well as a few pictures of the enclosure and heat pad.
Personally, I wouldn’t worry about the temperature dropping to 68 at night, it is really not bad especially if warmer during the day.
Sorry about that, Lilith is a Grammostola pulchra. If it dropped down at night and raised higher in the day, I wouldn’t be too worried but it was throughout the entire 3 days even during the day. I got a medium zoo med uth attached to a thermostat. It covers the left half. Then I have the probe above the glass, below the substrate. I taped the probe down with the aluminum heat resistant tape so it doesn’t move. The ambient room temp now is back up to 73 with the heat on. The uth is on the left side by the half log and tree. Hope that helps!
3D524D21-0847-4F25-B6CC-88125917167F.jpeg

Attachments

• 63189B5D-AAB5-48D7-8191-CEC30B3A75F5.jpeg
    63189B5D-AAB5-48D7-8191-CEC30B3A75F5.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 27

Sbirtell1

And I’ve been using a temp gun to measure the temp on top of the substrate.
Hi,

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice stone collection :)
I believe it is going to be just fine.
Here is mine and she is around 72-73 during the day and high 60s at night without any issues.
C228CDEE-1011-44E3-BE67-4AA643D110AC.jpeg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you! She’s beautiful by the way. So the moist/high humidity is not an issue?
It is a Brazilian species I believe and it should be fine with the moist substrate as it will dry soon enough if you do not add anymore. Until it is dry just make sure it has at least something dry to climb on top of, just in case ;)

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
There is still some things to learn about tarantulas and there are keepers with different experiences and views. A few months ago Dave from Dave's Little Beasties (from UK) recommended keeping G. pulchra at higher temps and humidity levels, that they seem calmer.
So far I have kept them dry.

I keep my Ts in acrylic enclosures within larger enclosures, including glass. I have used heating pads in the past on the side as my room gets quite cold at night, down to 60F in the winter. I tend to put the pads on a pane of glass and move it away from the enclosure a bit as they are acrylic. This also helps spread the heat around a bit.

My G. pulchra, pulchripes, rosea have basked on the walls near the heat a lot, so I would turn it off for a while when I was home.

I am now using heating cable at various heights and distances from the enclosure and that seems to have helped although they do bask near the heat, just not as much.

I have bought a space heater that I will try soon and should have a better idea about how well that works. I also will be trying a plastic enclosure that hopefully will retain the heat better.

Sbirtell1

There is still some things to learn about tarantulas and there are keepers with different experiences and views. A few months ago Dave from Dave's Little Beasties (from UK) recommended keeping G. pulchra at higher temps and humidity levels, that they seem calmer.
So far I have kept them dry.

I keep my Ts in acrylic enclosures within larger enclosures, including glass. I have used heating pads in the past on the side as my room gets quite cold at night, down to 60F in the winter. I tend to put the pads on a pane of glass and move it away from the enclosure a bit as they are acrylic. This also helps spread the heat around a bit.

My G. pulchra, pulchripes, rosea have basked on the walls near the heat a lot, so I would turn it off for a while when I was home.

I am now using heating cable at various heights and distances from the enclosure and that seems to have helped although they do bask near the heat, just not as much.

I have bought a space heater that I will try soon and should have a better idea about how well that works. I also will be trying a plastic enclosure that hopefully will retain the heat better.
It makes sense with Brazil’s temps and humidity. I just felt when it was cooler in the room she was pressed up against the glass and in a very tight hold. Idk… It almost resembled stress from being too cold. As soon as I got the heat pad, she loosened up and seems relaxed and more calm. I feel like her hunting skills have been more on point too…. like alert, and more stealth like… if that makes sense? Lol

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, the heat/temperature affects the T's activity level. Some Ts fast during colder temps while I believe breeders adjust temps to get the female and male ready for the process.

I believe the G. pulchra comes from the semi arid grasslands area of Brazil not the rainforests that so many equate with Brazil. So for at least part of the year it can get quite dry.

Sbirtell1

Yeah, the heat/temperature affects the T's activity level. Some Ts fast during colder temps while I believe breeders adjust temps to get the female and male ready for the process.

I believe the G. pulchra comes from the semi arid grasslands area of Brazil not the rainforests that so many equate with Brazil. So for at least part of the year it can get quite dry.
Well she definitely is food motivated at this point. I toss a cricket in there and poor thing doesn’t have a chance. I did get some Dubias, but they burrow too quickly and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to pinch the head so it doesn’t burrow. I try not to hurt bugs unless necessary. :’(

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well she definitely is food motivated at this point. I toss a cricket in there and poor thing doesn’t have a chance. I did get some Dubias, but they burrow too quickly and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to pinch the head so it doesn’t burrow. I try not to hurt bugs unless necessary. :’(
Hi,
Just use regular tweezers. Put the tip half way through the head of the roach and squeeze until you feel a crack. Put the dubia on his back. Although he won’t dig or play dead, he’ll remain alive and will move around for a good week :)

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
It gets easier. And remember you are doing this for your baby. Roaches can be tricky and play dead, although not as much as superworms.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Much ado about nothing. Mid 60s at night is fine. Mid to high 70s during the day is best. Anything over 80 consistently will speed up your spider's metabolism and shorten their life.

Keep the substrate mostly dry and overflow the water dish one every other week allowing it to soak the area beneath it; then let it dry out or move the water dish to the other side and repeat.

You and your tarantula will be more relaxed when you stop worrying about minutia, like temp and humidity, for basic, but beautiful species, like Grammostola. This is what a beginner tarantula defines, ease of keeping

Sbirtell1

Much ado about nothing. Mid 60s at night is fine. Mid to high 70s during the day is best. Anything over 80 consistency will speed up your spider's metabolism and shorten their life.

Keep the substrate mostly dry and overflow the water dish one every other week allowing it to soak the area beneath it; turn let it dry out or m itove the water dish to the other side and repeat.

You and your tarantula will be more relaxed when you stop worrying about minutia, like temp and humidity, for basic, but beautiful species, like Grammostola. This is what a beginner tarantula defines, ease of keeping
Thank you very much. And you’re right. Don’t worry… this will have to be my new motto to chill out…. Lol

Latest posts