• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is the GBB semi-arboreal?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I currently have a sling and sub adult female Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Greenbottle Blue). When I search for information on these, it seems half of the care sheets/videos state that these are 'semi-arboreal', i.e. that they can live terrestrially but also do well with more branches etc to climb and web on, not quite as high as a true arboreal, but with a bit of height to their enclosure.

What are your thoughts on this?

If this is the case, I wondered in particular about the safety of this - whether their feet are designed for arboreal climbing or whether they are likely to fall and get injured?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Adults do like to climb. I wouldn't call them arboreal because they walk on their webs primarily, even if it is at the top of the enclosure. If you use a terrestrial set up, make sure there are high anchor points. They make beautiful webbed archways, caverns, and hammocks.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
This is my GBB currently - is this too high up for her to climb safely? She keeps also hanging out on the ceiling.

Attachments

• DSC08038 - Copy.JPG
    DSC08038 - Copy.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 65

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are one of the most agile terrestrial tarantulas. I raise mine both in arboreal and terrestrial setups. In the wild they are found many meters up into the brush webbing clear down to the sand...yes sand. They come from a extremely dry and arid region. Just place alot of things high and low to web to...they will go to town on it. Just try to not place anything sharp they can fall on. Ive never seen one ever fall...they are pretty sure footed.
20171104_172442.jpg
20171130_171252.jpg
20200719_200432.jpg
20180309_115403.jpg

glitchsixxle

They are terrestrial but as heavy webber they need things to web on, maybe like different foliage. Try tilting a piece of long cork bark against the side they should love that.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Thanks so much for the replies! That has helped reassure me a lot :) I guess they are like rock-climbers, securing the ropes as they go :p

Gizalba

3 Year Member
They are one of the most agile terrestrial tarantulas. I raise mine both in arboreal and terrestrial setups. In the wild they are found many meters up into the brush webbing clear down to the sand...yes sand. They come from a extremely dry and arid region. Just place alot of things high and low to web to...they will go to town on it. Just try to not place anything sharp they can fall on. Ive never seen one ever fall...they are pretty sure footed.

Very reassuring and beautiful pics thanks :)

Latest posts