• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is P bara considered banned for interstate sales?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P subfusca is one of the banned ones by fish and wildlife but I don't understand if P bara is considered the same thing or if it's still A-ok to obtain.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Isn't bara the name subfusca replaced? I thought they were the same spider..? I could be wrong, I'm not a poeci guy..
Yes, this is correct.

Poecilotheria bara was renamed Poecilotheria subfusca, and highland and lowland are considered the same species. In order to differentiate the two forms, hobbyists have taken to using bara for one form and subfusca for the other, but bara is no longer a valid name. All bara are subfusca.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, this is correct.

Poecilotheria bara was renamed Poecilotheria subfusca, and highland and lowland are considered the same species. In order to differentiate the two forms, hobbyists have taken to using bara for one form and subfusca for the other, but bara is no longer a valid name. All bara are subfusca.
Hey Thistles! Haven't seen you around in awhile.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Hey Thistles! Haven't seen you around in awhile.
I've got like 700 mud crabs to care for and run benign experiments on before I cruelly infect them with a castrating barnacle parasite and run yet more experiments.

I'm really busy :( Just poke my head in when I get an alert or something. Hope everyone is doing well!

At least the crabs are really cute!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've got like 700 mud crabs to care for and run benign experiments on before I cruelly infect them with a castrating barnacle parasite and run yet more experiments.

I'm really busy :( Just poke my head in when I get an alert or something. Hope everyone is doing well!

like @MassExodus says, good to see you back....crabs n all...LOL

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, Phil. Take care of yourself and your genic!
I will do :). There was a pic of her recently in the gallery if you get chance to check her out. Take care Hun. nice to see you here again. I was away for a while too and back here feels like home already.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Got to get pokie at some point!!

P Striata Patrick being awesome 1.jpg

P striata is a very calm pokie, great first one.

I am glad to see I am not the only pokie owner that is upset by this. The vittatta is also a banned pokie. The only ones they are allowing to be sold out of state, is the Metallica goodie sapphire, the rufilata, and the ornamentals. All others are restricted to interstate sales. Does anyone know if I can drive out of state and buy it, then return home? Lmao.

That's the thing. Is one the lowland form and the other the highland form?

Are these forms morphs of one species or 2 separate but closely related species?
The o my noticeable difference is the patterning on the rump. The lowland has a very solid diamond pattern, and the highland, has a diamond pattern outline with black in the center. ( I personally LOVE the highland pattern!)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am glad to see I am not the only pokie owner that is upset by this. The vittatta is also a banned pokie. The only ones they are allowing to be sold out of state, is the Metallica goodie sapphire, the rufilata, and the ornamentals. All others are restricted to interstate sales. Does anyone know if I can drive out of state and buy it, then return home? Lmao.
Of course you can. How often do you get pulled over anyways??? A tarantula in a small box in the backseat doesnt draw alot of attention. A police officer isn't going to be able to identify the tarantulas. Especially if you write P. Regalis on them.