• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my Tarantula Stressed?

batsy

So my 1" grammostola pulchra has been heavily webbing the ground lately like a mat? Idk what this is for. She seems like she might be close to molting bc her abdomen in light and bare of hairs. But she also takes some of the dirt in her enclosure and moves it all in front of the door that I open in order to change her water dish and ultimately, gets so much in the bowl the water soaks up. And I don't think it's because she doesn't like the water, she builds the dirt up all the way across where the door opens. I don't know why she does this. The only reason I can think of is that she doesn't want me to open the cage? I do handle her some times just to keep her somewhat tame while she's growing. Is she stressed out or does she just not like me opening the cage?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn’t say it’s stressed. Maybe close to a moult if laying a mat but the bulldozing of the enclosure and filling/flipping and just being an arse is a grammostola thing. It’s why I like them. Every Grammy I’ve had has a habit of digging down in a corner of the enclosure to the bottom then abandoning it and digging another corner. Just their little personalities

Handling is your choice and I’m not here to judge but be aware they don’t have the brain capability to become “tame”. It’ll never recognise you nor learn to be handled. It could be sweet as anything now then after a moult want to bite you. It is a more dosile spieces when compared to others but that doesn’t mean that every specimen is friendly :)

batsy

I wouldn’t say it’s stressed. Maybe close to a moult if laying a mat but the bulldozing of the enclosure and filling/flipping and just being an arse is a grammostola thing. It’s why I like them. Every Grammy I’ve had has a habit of digging down in a corner of the enclosure to the bottom then abandoning it and digging another corner. Just their little personalities

Handling is your choice and I’m not here to judge but be aware they don’t have the brain capability to become “tame”. It’ll never recognise you nor learn to be handled. It could be sweet as anything now then after a moult want to bite you. It is a more dosile spieces when compared to others but that doesn’t mean that every specimen is friendly :)
Okay thanks! I was mostly worried about the bulldozing but if it's normal I guess I won't rearange that anymore ^^

Nunua

3 Year Member
Yeah, no need to be worried about bulldozing - That's just what tarantulas do, especially when they're slings :D
T. albopilosum sling is the worst bulldozer in my collection.
Today it's little enclosure looks like this:
c60537eefe.png

But tomorrow the situation most likely will be that the sling has packed most of the substrate to one side, filling up the water dish and just sitting happily on the "low end". The only rearrangement I do, is to move the water dish into a corner it fits in. That tiny piece of corkbark is actually a curved piece that was working as a hide, at least for a while. Now it looks like that :D

Last edited:

gognomie

My g.pulchra never ever stops rearranging its tank, it's currently one huge slope with a strange eldritch column at the highest point because... why not, I suppose? I've seen it take prey and end up rolling down its self-made slip and slide.
There's logic to it, somewhere.