• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my T. stirmi in premolt?

Cam_bull

A3710BBF-1617-4966-8AB7-FAA7B052CC7B.jpeg

(Is this premolt) Hey guys, so there’s been a cricket shortage in CT for whatever reason, so ive been trying to give my big T. stirmi a mouse for the past two nights which is normally no problem at all, but she’s refused both times and this time instead of just showing no interest she went to grab it, did for a split second then let go right away so I’ve attributed this patch to her just kicking hairs but now I’m wondering if this is premolt or not? Thanks!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
View attachment 48951
(Is this premolt) Hey guys, so there’s been a cricket shortage in CT for whatever reason, so ive been trying to give my big T. stirmi a mouse for the past two nights which is normally no problem at all, but she’s refused both times and this time instead of just showing no interest she went to grab it, did for a split second then let go right away so I’ve attributed this patch to her just kicking hairs but now I’m wondering if this is premolt or not? Thanks!

It looks like early stages of premolt. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 48951
If in pre moult it is the very very early stages. The colours underneath the skin do not really show any signs of darkening as the hairs form underneath.

Be wary of too many mice in the diet for a couple of reasons
1. The mouse may bite and damage your T and
2. the extra calcium found in mammals rather than invertebrates have sometimes been attributed to problems with moulting as the old exoskeleton becomes too hard to remove.

The last point is an extreme example and probably only relevant if fed solely on a diet of mammals or other vertebrates but just thought I would mention.

Looks nice and plump and a shortage of crickets would not cause any issues for a few months anyway :)

Cam_bull

If in pre moult it is the very very early stages. The colours underneath the skin do not really show any signs of darkening as the hairs form underneath.

Be wary of too many mice in the diet for a couple of reasons
1. The mouse may bite and damage your T and
2. the extra calcium found in mammals rather than invertebrates have sometimes been attributed to problems with moulting as the old exoskeleton becomes too hard to remove.

The last point is an extreme example and probably only relevant if fed solely on a diet of mammals or other vertebrates but just thought I would mention.

Looks nice and plump and a shortage of crickets would not cause any issues for a few months anyway :)
I mostly feed crickets, but for the past few weeks only small frozen mice because of the shortage of other feeders

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I mostly feed crickets, but for the past few weeks only small frozen mice because of the shortage of other feeders
super worms, roaches, locusts also good alternatives if crickets in short supply....but she certainly doesn't look under fed anyway :)

Cam_bull

super worms, roaches, locusts also good alternatives if crickets in short supply....but she certainly doesn't look under fed anyway :)
Definitely, and you wouldn’t believe it but I bought 240 super worms to start my own colony for her and I’ve never once gotten her to take one, I’ve tried every way. I mostly just stick to crickets and usually a mouse once every 1-2 months, does she look like she’s in premolt? I’ve been asking around and most people say it looks like the early stages

MAGA2024

View attachment 48951
Did she ended up molting? Mine was eating a lot the first month. Then she stopped eating and rarely moves, if she moves then she does so slowly.