• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my T poorly

boo boo 86

3 Year Member
Hi all I have a Mexican red rump who seems not its self. It's normally very active and runs toward when opening the viv . It's now very slow and hardly moves he seems to be stiff too when it does move. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Need more specifics: age, size, last molt, confirmed gender or a good (in focus) photo of the enclosure will help greatly.
Possibly getting ready for a molt cycle?

boo boo 86

3 Year Member
It's about 9 month old maybe 2 inches. It's last molt was about 4 month ago. I thought he could be in molt cycle but it's acting totally different from last molt. I'll post pic of enclosure now and thanks.

boo boo 86

3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1440090017676.JPG

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Awesome!
From the photo, its a well fed T, judging from the abdomen size. Also, its looks to be between the sling/juvenile stage. I'm leaning towards premolt now, seeing its been 4 months since the last molt.
I see no hide in the enclosure other than the moss. Suggest placing a small clay flowerpot, or something similar, half buried for it to call "home". Great size and placement of the water dish, btw. Also doubling the depth of the substrate will be of great benefit. 1 if it wants to burrow it can do so and 2 less likely to sustain an injury from fall. Rule of thumb (terrestrial): 1-1 1/2 times the DLS of tarantula to the space between substrate surface to top of the enclosure.
Hope this helps. [emoji4]

boo boo 86

3 Year Member
Thank you for all your advise. Put a hide in for it. So how long does pre molt take? It has been like this for almost a week now! Should I wait for it to mol

boo boo 86

3 Year Member
Molt before adding more substrate? What I mean by been like this almost a week hardly moving and acting stiff.

boo boo 86

3 Year Member
Iv rehoused before I put the post up. Think the previous house was too big. Looked at it this morning it's started to make a sling so hopefully some time soon.

kimjane30

3 Year Member
hi guys my tarantula is 3 years of age had him since a baby always been healthy ect good molts although something happened today I came home to fijnd him upside down in the viv there were two big hoppers in the tank still right beside him...I carefuly helped him to flip over and he was fine now hes quiet and seems like he cba move a lot is he in shock ?? I'm sat watching him constantly id hate for anything happen to him :( cant stop crying

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hi guys my tarantula is 3 years of age had him since a baby always been healthy ect good molts although something happened today I came home to fijnd him upside down in the viv there were two big hoppers in the tank still right beside him...I carefuly helped him to flip over and he was fine now hes quiet and seems like he cba move a lot is he in shock ?? I'm sat watching him constantly id hate for anything happen to him :( cant stop crying
Yup. Anytime a tarantula flips over on its back, it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Flipping it right side up was about the worst thing you could have done in that situation.

Latest posts