• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my T ok in temp change for a bit?

babyjacks

Today I got a dwarf c. Sellatus/copper heart (that’s what it said in the sticker) at my local pet store and when I got home and admired it I noticed little holes(?) in its abdomen/butt I’m not sure what the correct term is lol (pls educate me),i am aware that I’ve altered its temperature/atmosphere. Didn’t wanna eat the cricket they gave it for feeding day so I’m pretty sure it’s getting ready to molt. I’m just afraid that the temperature will affect it, the habitat where they kept it at the pet store was way better and warmer than my room bc it gets pretty cold, Utah weather is crazy. We’ve recently moved from California so we also prefer warm weather, all the more reasons to get a heater lol. The thing is we have to get it mailed since winter time is “over”. im wondering if the time it takes for the heater to get here will affect the T in a negative way? And should I put more substrate? Should I give it a bigger enclosure? She’s pretty active and explores her enclosure, she goes around and climbs to its ceiling, so cute! Is she stressed from the trip to my house & temp changes? Thoughts?

Attachments

• 7CA57F10-B22D-40FB-91C0-F36F1CC724DD.jpeg
    7CA57F10-B22D-40FB-91C0-F36F1CC724DD.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What is the temperature in your house now?

Your tarantula could be getting acclimated. I am curious as to what substrate you are using?

As for determining depth of substrate, a picture of the entire enclosure would be helpful.

Is the heater you are talking about a space heater?

babyjacks

What is the temperature in your house now?

Your tarantula could be getting acclimated. I am curious as to what substrate you are using?

As for determining depth of substrate, a picture of the entire enclosure would be helpful.

Is the heater you are talking about a space heater?

69 degrees currently, the lady at the pet shop said they were using Zoo Med so I’m assuming it’s coconut fiber, & yes I am talking about a space heater
Thank you so much for your interest in helping btw!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Nunua

3 Year Member
69 °F is perfectly fine for tarantulas, so no need to worry! Rule of the thumb is: if you're comfortable in your house, the tarantula will be as well (ok, you may not be comfortable if you prefer warmer climate, but still :D )
If "by holes" you mean those yellowish patches on its belly, they're called the book lungs :) I would add a lot more substrate and a water dish (a bottle cap, small glass candle holder etc is fine with a tarantula that size). Also, it has a plump abdomen, so no need to worry about it not eating either.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
69 degrees currently, the lady at the pet shop said they were using Zoo Med so I’m assuming it’s coconut fiber, & yes I am talking about a space heater
Thank you so much for your interest in helping btw!
Anything between 65-85 is good, with most going for 70-80, so 69 is fine. However, keep that space heater on standby as they are the best heating source for tarantulas.

Coco fiber is good (looked weird at first.

The enclosure could use way more substrate, maybe a little more than halfway.

babyjacks

Thank you guys so much for your help!! I’ll try to get a better pic of it when it climbs up again :) & sounds like i need more substrate, I shall get some tomorrow!