• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my T in pre-molt

Tom

3 Year Member
Not quite sure if she is in pre-molt cause of the black patch, shes not eating either if this helps?
Thanks
IMG-20171015-WA0000.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The black patch would be closer to the end of the abdomen. That's looks a little high. The patch would also be a bald spot where u can see her exo...not eating is a good indicator that she might be ready to molt, but a sometimes they just go on a fasting spree. Just keep offering food once a week or 2 until she eats or molts. Hope this helps.

jackys

3 Year Member
@Entity's advice is great... Also just throwing out there that I've had a G. porteri molt without ever developing the tell-tale black bald patch. I wasn't sure if she just randomly decided to fast until I woke up one morning to find she'd molted overnight. Sometimes there isn't an obvious "yeah that's pre-molt" and you have to just kind of wait and see.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
G.porteri are notorious for fasting, both of mine will decline a meal for weeks, even months sometimes without even being in premolt. My 2nd rosie didn't eat for 2 months after I first got her, never has molted but started eating eventually. As jackys said, some won't always show a molt spot and can't always pinpoint exactly when they will molt especially as adults.

Tom

3 Year Member
The black patch would be closer to the end of the abdomen. That's looks a little high. The patch would also be a bald spot where u can see her exo...not eating is a good indicator that she might be ready to molt, but a sometimes they just go on a fasting spree. Just keep offering food once a week or 2 until she eats or molts. Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for the reply really helped. Is she a gramostolla porteri then or a rosea? She still hasn't eaten and will be 3 weeks since I bought her from the store this Friday. Tried offering her crickets and meal worms but she just seems to walk away and take no notice?

jackys

3 Year Member
That actually sounds similar to when I got my G. porteri- I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the prey are right next to her, she knows they're there (especially if they're moving) and is just not hungry.

As far as "is she a G. porteri or G. rosea"... I'm no expert, but she looks like a G. porteri to me.

Latest posts