• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my T about to molt or die??

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
Hey gang have an urgent question about my Arizona Blonde. It hasn't been active lately and it seemed to show signs of premolt. Now it's sitting in one spot in it's hide with it's front legs in the air and the back legs still on the ground. I poked at it with my tongs but got no movement only a slight twitch. The abdomen was really dark last time I saw it but not heavily bald like I've seen in a lot of the videos on youtube. I really starting to think it's dying and not about to molt :-/ I kept the water dish full and started misting water on the back side of the enclosure glass. I plan on buying a GBB soon and this would be a real set back if this one dies and I don't understand what happened :-(
20180128_153144.jpg
20180128_153219.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is it possible that it is a mature male, can you see tibial spurs?

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
Is it possible that it is a mature male, can you see tibial spurs?

It's an unsexed juvi. I've had it since December of last year..after rehousing it it kinda went into hiding and got more and more inactive. It hasn't eaten since I've had it..needless to say I'm REALLY worried about it :-(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's not a long time for a T to go without food, maybe try a different item of prey. Can you check on its abdomen, does it look shrunken?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All u can do is offer it food every week and keep its water dish full...its out of your hands. Is it wild caught? maybe it has a sickness. there isn't a whole lot u can do.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All u can do is offer it food every week and keep its water dish full...its out of your hands. Is it wild caught? maybe it has a sickness. there isn't a whole lot u can do.

That is the most frustrating part about keeping Ts, there is just so little we can do to help them.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is the most frustrating part about keeping Ts, there is just so little we can do to help them.
I agree. People I think come to use thinking there is more to do, hoping we can offer them something more. Just sucks, when they are sick they are sick. But there maybe nothing wrong, hope he is ok.

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
it looks like there is something on his left Pedi palp....what is that?

Not really sure. I tried coaxing it a little more and it moves but isn't moving "right" Almost looks like that thing they get where it can't control it's functions well (saw The Spiderman feature it in one of vids). I bought this from a reputable exotic pet store here locally. It could be sick. It's very true that you can't do much..it's not exactly a dog or a fish..lol. I'm gonna try to get it out of the hide and take more pics.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's winter...alot of wild caught blondes tend to fast and conserve energy this time of year. Both of mine are exhibiting this same behavior right now. Just keep the water dish full. Extra water spraying isn't necessary...they don't like it.

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
This is how it looks. I pretty much dragged it out of it's hide..didn't threat pose or offer any kind of resistance. I can poke at it and get a response every now and then

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You could try to give it a drink...gently roll it on its back and drop 1 drop of water on its mouth. They drink really slow so one drop at a time is enough. That would help rule out dehydration. Other than that just let it be, the more you mess with it the more stress it causes. Not really much you can do, may be just in heavy premolt...hard to tell.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try different prey items, but nothing that could injure the T. Maybe try a small earth worm or Dubai roach? If you break the front most pair of legs of the roach, it won't burrow.

You might even try briefly dipping the worm into that powdered cricket chow. That's what they're got loaded with.

Earthworms are non traditional and probably not the best thing but they are bulky, probably have calories and most importantly are incapable of injuring the tarantula!! (Especially important if a molt might occur at anytime)

Latest posts