• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my Lp ill?

AndyBunn

I have a male lasiodora paraybana who's about 3 years old. He had a moult in November and I've noticed that he seems to be struggling to kill and feed. I offer him black and brown Crickets, Mealworm, medium sized Locusts, dubia roaches and once a wax Worm.
He's fed no problems in the past but now I'm not so sure.

Also his abdomen doesn't look right.

I'll attach some photos though they aren't the best.
Does anyone here know what's going on here?

Many thanks

Andy and Del toro

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_154952.jpg
    IMG_20201217_154952.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20201217_154951.jpg
    IMG_20201217_154951.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20201217_154948.jpg
    IMG_20201217_154948.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20201217_154941.jpg
    IMG_20201217_154941.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30

SpoodDude

Hard to tell from the pix provided but may have had a rough molt. Can he hunt and eat at all or is he not able to? If he continuing to eat Id just wait it out. Just stay on top of your humidity and make sure the water dish stays full.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sorry to say but I think he may be nearing the end of his life. His age and behaviour are clues.

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
Hi SpoodDude.

He catches prey OK just seems to struggle killing them. I fed him a couple of black Crickets and the one he caught was able to get free.

I will try to get some better photos.
Black crickets as in wild caught crickets?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Usually when their abdomens start to wrinkle up like that it is because they are dehydrated. Make sure he has a water dish in there with fresh water (big enough for him to drink from). Tarantulas get most of their hydration from the food they eat but if they aren't eating then the water dish is where they go. That's why its so important to have one in your tarantulas enclosure no matter how often you feed them. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He had his last molt 1st October 2020. I got him as a spiderling 1st July 2017.

Ive read in lots of different places that males can live up to 14 years.

Does he have hooks on his front legs, a sure sign he's mature?
My lad was just 2 years old when he matured and 3 when he died.

AndyBunn

Usually when their abdomens start to wrinkle up like that it is because they are dehydrated. Make sure he has a water dish in there with fresh water (big enough for him to drink from). Tarantulas get most of their hydration from the food they eat but if they aren't eating then the water dish is where they go. That's why its so important to have one in your tarantulas enclosure no matter how often you feed them. :)
Hi Casey K

He does have a water dish in his Vivarium and he does drink from it. It was pretty dry here when he last molted but when I fill up his water dish I overflow it.

I really don't understand what's going on with him.

Suzjohn

Perhaps you don't have a male. Have you been able to see if the fangs are alright? Hope your T is feeling better.

AndyBunn

Hi Suzjohn

He's been drinking and killing prey though he still finds it difficult from watching him. This morning I gave him a black Cricket and he immediately leaped on to it and sat on it for at least 10 minutes. When he moved away the cricket was still a live. Usually its all over.

When the cricket moved he grabbed it again.

I just hope he holds out to the next moult and that sorts out any problems.

Merry Christmas to you and your tarantulas

Latest posts