• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my enclosure suitable?

Coiled Colt

3 Year Member
I've been given my early xmas present, a Mexican flame knee tarantula.
My other half purchased her for me as a surprise, the shop she purchased her from said she doesn't need any heat pad as she should be left at room temp and only a flat shallow (1-2cm) level of soil.
Ive gone more for a two level enclosure, as I've read that they like to burrow and have pilled the soil over the bark hide on one side

Looking for any advice on any changes I should make if they're needed. If I should get a heat pad or not, is soil too deep or too shallow ect.....

She's kept on a side stand usually, not on my bed.

20171126_144004.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The acrylic types aren't compatible with heat pads. It isn't strictly necessary to use one. If it's a sling, raising the temp to 80 degrees will help it grow faster so it's safer.

If it's a male, which had a shorter life, IMHO I would NOT use one or feed more then once a week in order to keep it alive longer and aging faster.

If any of mine are confirmed males, it's room temp no extra heat!!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Excellent enclosure. They like it dry so a Critter Keeper works great. The only thing I would consider is a bit more substrate. Until your T lays a webbing mat, it is susceptible to a fall from that height—which, on rare occasion, can hurt your T.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No heating mat. room temps 72 to 80 are fine. the only thing I see I would change is add a little more substrate to that one side. when ur spider crawls up the side it gives it less of a drop if it were to fall....a fat little spider can die from that.