• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my E. murinus enclosure ok?

NukaMedia Exotics

3 Year Member
My ~5" E. murinus is being kept in a medium breeder box on a mixture of coco peat and vermiculite, pretttty damp. I had a PVC hide in her enclosure, half buried sticking up at an angle. I decided it was possibly a little small for her to stretch out in, and maybe didn't like it so I switched it out for cork bark buried the same way. She's been sitting behind the hide for like 2-3 days webbing it up but hasn't even gone to the other side of the enclosure or into her hide. Can anyone tell me if I need to change something and what I should change?

IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0312.JPG

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Look at your temps and moisture of the substrate.

When I tried adding vermiculite to Coco fiber with my Lasiodora, she totally hated it, hung out on the glass or anywhere but that.

Maybe just ditch the vermiculite entirely. Eco earth in a bag works fine for me and isn't too hard on the wallet.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd keep them the same as most...dry substrate with weekly over flow of the water dish. Vermiculite is great for these guys because it slowly releases moisture. I use vermiculite with all my T's. Think you may have it alittle too damp though. I'd try to dry it out some then put her back in. A trick I do is add the dry vermiculite to the damp coco fiber and it turns out perfect everytime. If you use already moist vermiculite the soil will never dry out...thats why most people dont like vermiculite.

NukaMedia Exotics

3 Year Member
I'd keep them the same as most...dry substrate with weekly over flow of the water dish. Vermiculite is great for these guys because it slowly releases moisture. I use vermiculite with all my T's. Think you may have it alittle too damp though. I'd try to dry it out some then put her back in. A trick I do is add the dry vermiculite to the damp coco fiber and it turns out perfect everytime. If you use already moist vermiculite the soil will never dry out...thats why most people dont like vermiculite.

Okay that last sentence is sinking in haha I used it as I knew it was supposed to hold water because from what I read they need a fair amount of moisture but I didn't know it'd stay damp forever... I have my T. stirmi on a damp vermiculite/loose coco fiber mix as well as I know they're humidity dependent, would he be okay or needs a sub change too?

Latest posts