• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is my B smithi okay?

pigeon

my B smithi has been kind of "bunched up" but not curled in like a death curl. She's only a sling (maybe 3 or 4 months old) and she's my first that wasn't already an adult. she's only molted once in my care, about a month ago. She hasn't been eating or moving at all and i understand that's usual molt behavior, but it's been 4 days. i've been putting water under her fangs occasionally. i thought maybe she was cold at 68.8F, so i put on the light a little bit away from her enclosure. her humidity was also at 56% so i put water in her substrate near the light. is this just a really weird molt? should i assume the worst? any advice is greatly appreciated. i just want her to be okay

pigeon

here's some pics of her and her space

Attachments

• 5DF38D53-BC27-41AA-A463-A63A29F6610B.jpeg
    5DF38D53-BC27-41AA-A463-A63A29F6610B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • 4687E3A3-1683-40C5-9D32-D48E0BF21E26.jpeg
    4687E3A3-1683-40C5-9D32-D48E0BF21E26.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 57
  • F8AAD510-B138-40AE-A50C-3F5A5053E2E0.jpeg
    F8AAD510-B138-40AE-A50C-3F5A5053E2E0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
how small should the enclosure be? any specific recommendations?
something about 3 or 4 times the length of the spider is more than enough. Tarantulas like to feel safe and secure and too much space can make them feel vulnerable. In the wild, they would spend 99% of their time holed up hiding in a burrow not much larger than they are. Smaller enclosures also means you have more room for more spiders so a win-win :)

pigeon

something about 3 or 4 times the length of the spider is more than enough. Tarantulas like to feel safe and secure and too much space can make them feel vulnerable. In the wild, they would spend 99% of their time holed up hiding in a burrow not much larger than they are. Smaller enclosures also means you have more room for more spiders so a win-win :)
should i wait on moving her or scoop out what's underneath her? would a glass container with a screen on top work? how will i fit her hides and water dish? sorry for the question spam, i just want to do this right

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
should i wait on moving her or scoop out what's underneath her? would a glass container with a screen on top work? how will i fit her hides and water dish? sorry for the question spam, i just want to do this right
My advice which I hope you find useful....

If rehousing I would just replace all the substrate for new (coconut fibre and a bit of top soil is generally accepted as best all round substrate.

Water dish only needs to be a bottle cap at that size.

Plastic enclosures with holes drilled for cross ventilation is usually better then glass - although I do understand that this is very much an individual choice and depends on whether the enclosure is on display etc.

A small hide whether that be a small plastic flower pot or some cork bark will also help your T feel more secure.

To transfer, just cup the spider with a plastic pot over the top and slide the lid under gently and then move to new home by just removing the lid and letting the T just sit back on the sub. Do not use your hands to pick up the T unless absolutely necessary (I.e. making a run for it).

Job done. Hope that helps :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At that size the enclosure is the hide...they don't need one.. I have hundreds of slings that dont have hides.. They burrow. Just put a milk jug lid or bottle cap in for water. Keep it simple.
20190420_201508.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
hi just wanted to make a correction: MJ's actually a hamorii. i forgot they were the ones that were renamed.
Not necessarily. They're two different species. Hamorii are notoriously mislabeled as smithi by flakey dealers. There are alot of real smithi being sold right now...depending on where it came from it may be legit.

pigeon

Not necessarily. They're two different species. Hamorii are notoriously mislabeled as smithi by flakey dealers. There are alot of real smithi being sold right now...depending on where it came from it may be legit.
no, i know she's a hamorii!! her purchase travel cup says hamorii and ive heard the dealer is very reputable. i just forgot because Internet

pigeon

2 week update: no change. she hasn't moved at all, but she also hasn't begun to death curl or shrivel. i have been keeping her heat and humidity optimal. we hope she'll pull through.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
2 week update: no change. she hasn't moved at all, but she also hasn't begun to death curl or shrivel. i have been keeping her heat and humidity optimal. we hope she'll pull through.
Some excellent advice @Phil and @Arachnoclown ! This happened to my P. victori sling which I have in a small deli cup with a small piece of cork bark to burrow behind. My sling suddenly became stationary and was scrunched up, that is a definite sign of dehydration. I had to take drastic measures, put the sling in my hand and mist her from 12 inches above her. Though I would never directly mist my T's because they hate that, but this was the only way for my sling to get the water she needed, mist lightly and don't over do it. I then wet a small piece of paper towel and placed her on top of it, 2 hours later, she began walking around and eventually started eating again. Try that and see if that is effective. I pray that your hamorri is going to be fine :)

pigeon

Some excellent advice @Phil and @Arachnoclown ! This happened to my P. victori sling which I have in a small deli cup with a small piece of cork bark to burrow behind. My sling suddenly became stationary and was scrunched up, that is a definite sign of dehydration. I had to take drastic measures, put the sling in my hand and mist her from 12 inches above her. Though I would never directly mist my T's because they hate that, but this was the only way for my sling to get the water she needed, mist lightly and don't over do it. I then wet a small piece of paper towel and placed her on top of it, 2 hours later, she began walking around and eventually started eating again. Try that and see if that is effective. I pray that your hamorri is going to be fine :)
just did that! thank you for the advice!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
did you correct the enclosure size?
If yes may we have few pics of it.
Also you say you keep temperature and humidity optimal.How do you do that.
If your temperature in the room is above 20°C you dont need to worry about it.If you heat the enclosure there is big chance you will dehydrate the spider further if not done correctly. As for humidity just keep substrate slightly moist but not swampy and that will do it.With humidity dont try to chase any particular values as you will do more harm than good.
Regards Konstantin

pigeon

Hi
did you correct the enclosure size?
If yes may we have few pics of it.
Also you say you keep temperature and humidity optimal.How do you do that.
If your temperature in the room is above 20°C you dont need to worry about it.If you heat the enclosure there is big chance you will dehydrate the spider further if not done correctly. As for humidity just keep substrate slightly moist but not swampy and that will do it.With humidity dont try to chase any particular values as you will do more harm than good.
Regards Konstantin
i don't have the ability to change her enclosure at the moment, but i have a heat lamp (non light) and my humidifier running right next to the tank. it's about 70% humidity and 78 degrees F (25.5 C). it's fairly dry and cold where i am in NY.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
you can go to the nearest supermarket get a pot of pasta salad or similar and after you eat it wash and rinse well the tub poke some holes in it and you have your enclosure.
Honestly forget about humidity.If your substrate is partly moist its all you need dry air in the room only means you will need to add more frequently water to the substrate.
Heat lamps are the worst option for heating tarantulas. After you get the pasta pot and move your sling in it.Clean the enclosure and put the pot in it.Then get a heat matt with thermostat and place it inside the enclosure but not on the bottom ,on the side and put the sling pot near it but not touching the heat matt this will create a warmer spot for your sling if your room is below 19-20°C
You are most likely killing your sling with kindness trying to micromanage the environment.
I keep all my slings in small 1oz to 4 oz pots on the shelf with moist substrate and never have issues with any of them.Temperatures in my room vary from 18 to 30°C.
Regards Konstantin