• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my Arizona blond ok?

turgle

I recently got an Arizona blond but her substrate is a bit moist because it hadn’t dried completely when I was building her enclosure. Is she going to be ok?? She seems fine so far but I don’t know

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Arizona has a monsoon season that lasts a few months. Desert tarantulas much prefer a dry environment. But providing the substrate is only a little too moist, they come to no harm, as it dries out.

Do you have any spare substrate? If so dry a handful out in the sun, or even in the oven on a baking tray & just sprinkle it on the top of the moister substrate. If not take a small amount of substrate out of the enclosure & dry that. Dry substrate will absorb moisture & help to reduce the overall feeling for your T.

Edited to add. It always pays to keep the area around the water bowl a little moist, by letting the bowl overflow as you top it up. Then next time move the water bowl & do it again. Each time allowing the area moistened to completely dry out. This gives some humidity for your T & gives them a more natural environment. And keeping the water bowl moving around every week or two, stops the substrate from getting mouldy.

turgle

Arizona has a monsoon season that lasts a few months. Desert tarantulas much prefer a dry environment. But providing the substrate is only a little too moist, they come to no harm, as it dries out.

Do you have any spare substrate? If so dry a handful out in the sun, or even in the oven on a baking tray & just sprinkle it on the top of the moister substrate. If not take a small amount of substrate out of the enclosure & dry that. Dry substrate will absorb moisture & help to reduce the overall feeling for your T.

Edited to add. It always pays to keep the area around the water bowl a little moist, by letting the bowl overflow as you top it up. Then next time move the water bowl & do it again. Each time allowing the area moistened to completely dry out. This gives some humidity for your T & gives them a more natural environment. And keeping the water bowl moving around every week or two, stops the substrate from getting mouldy.
Thank you so much!

Latest posts