• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my arboreal T enclosure suitable?

beanie

Hi there, I’m a fairly new tarantula keeper and I’ve experimented some with enclosures. Which is bad because I know it stresses out the spider to change their home so much because they like consistency. However, I know avics die suddenly sometimes due to the home they live in and i just want to give it the most optimal living conditions. my home stays consistently at 70-80 degrees fahrenheit. It has ventilation through the sides and on the top. I have damp-wet moss in hope to retain some humidity. coconut fiber + soil mix as the substrate. and a blue water dish. i have some drift wood and a small tree branch as a hope that he (i think) uses it as support for webbing or just to hang out on. Just wanting to make sure I’m not missing anything. Anyways, many thanks!

6CB980B6-F459-488E-B82A-81A3DEEE9F66.jpeg

Tarantulafeets

Hi there, I’m a fairly new tarantula keeper and I’ve experimented some with enclosures. Which is bad because I know it stresses out the spider to change their home so much because they like consistency. However, I know avics die suddenly sometimes due to the home they live in and i just want to give it the most optimal living conditions. my home stays consistently at 70-80 degrees fahrenheit. It has ventilation through the sides and on the top. I have damp-wet moss in hope to retain some humidity. coconut fiber + soil mix as the substrate. and a blue water dish. i have some drift wood and a small tree branch as a hope that he (i think) uses it as support for webbing or just to hang out on. Just wanting to make sure I’m not missing anything. Anyways, many thanks!

View attachment 64161
Enclosure looks good, although avics like a bit more clutter near the top to web, it looks fine. The avic dying for now reason is a myth, people in the early days of keeping thought they needed lots of humidity so they blocked of almost all ventilation in their enclosures, which led to no airflow in the tank, which led to dead spiders. Your enclosure looks like it has a good amount of holes, you should be fine.
Welcome to the forum!

Nurse Ratchet

Being new to the hobby, I can only speculate based on personal research. SAD (sudden avic death) seemed to be related to over misting with lack of adequate ventilation. Your enclosure looks safe. Again, I'm also new, so I'll leave it to the more experienced to offer additional advice.
Welcome to the forum.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great start, like others have said, more foliage and webbing anchor points are a good thing. Here's a little something you might want to consider reading:

Latest posts