• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it too soon to sex? B. emilia

Speyeds

Hi all,

Got my B. emilia a few weeks ago, it’s about 2” DSL (maybe a little bigger/smaller). It hasn’t molted with me and I’m way too new to accurately sex it via ventral sexing.

So my question to you guys is what do you all think? Male or female? Or is it just too soon to tell?
4003FDB9-7B00-4DBC-9873-FF2252CF586A.jpeg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks male to me. It appears there is a triangular patch of epiandrous fusillae on the exuvium.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Not a big fan of ventral sexing myself.
At 2 inch will be easy to sex when it moults.
I use magnifying glass app on my Android phone but if you have good eyes even with naked eye you can do it too
Here is a pic of my B emilia moult at 2 inch for reference
Picture_20221628021624.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi
I use magnifying glass app on my Android phone but if you have good eyes even with naked eye you can do it too
View attachment 66013
Regards Konstantin

That's girly bits!!!!!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Thanks @Casey K.
I know she is a little lady since the date stamp on pic but didn't word it properly in my post and can't edit it after I posted. Meant to write my juvenile female B emilia. lol
I have photo catalogue of date stamped moult pics of most of my ladies when I manage to sex them ;)
Regards Konstantin

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks @Casey K.
I know she is a little lady since the date stamp on pic but didn't word it properly in my post and can't edit it after I posted. Meant to write my juvenile female B emilia. lol
I have photo catalogue of date stamped moult pics of most of my ladies when I manage to sex them ;)
Regards Konstantin

Awwww you're welcome, hun. I just didn't know if you knew or not.....trying to help a fella out. :)

Speyeds

Hi
View attachment 66013
Regards Konstantin
I’ll definitely try and grab the molt once it happens to try and figure it out!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
on the bright side even if its a male you will have him for quite few years as they are slow growers and take a while to mature
Regards Konstantin

Isaac

Hi all,

Got my B. emilia a few weeks ago, it’s about 2” DSL (maybe a little bigger/smaller). It hasn’t molted with me and I’m way too new to accurately sex it via ventral sexing.

So my question to you guys is what do you all think? Male or female? Or is it just too soon to tell?View attachment 66010
Looks male, your molt is going to be the most definitive way to identify, and at 2" thats a good size to sex, even without a scope, usually. Love the Brachypelma! Great Great choice! Congratulations on your first

Latest posts