• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it possible?

VanessaS

3 Year Member
To have two 3" G. pulchripes who are still unsexed? I found a guy who is selling both to me for $40cdn and he has them listed as unsexed at that size.
I don't want to come off as if I am calling him a liar, but I would think everyone would want to know what sex their tarantula is. He seems pretty knowledgeable about them.
I am going to take them anyway, but I just thought that it was odd. I mean, I'm already taking ventral shots of my G. pulchra to see if I can tell their sex and they are only 1".

Meludox

3 Year Member
Totally possible. The molts could have been too mangled to sex, or he just didn't want to sex them. You could be getting a female or two at the price of being unsexed, so that's a plus. :)

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Gotcha. I am going to take them anyway, I pick them up on Saturday. He says they are a bit skittish, being juveniles, but never defensive.
I will be pleased if even one ends up female. I am so scared that everyone is going to turn out to be male and they will all be gone in a handful of years.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Could be as simple as him not wanting to be held accountable if they were sexed wrongly. I know many dealers that won't sell anything as a confirmed female if they never get a proper molt they can ID from.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
That makes total sense as well.
I think it just struck me as odd when all the other unsexed 3" G. pulchripes that I have ever seen for sale have been over $50cdn each, but he is willing to give me two for $40. I wasn't even considering them both, but immediately said I would take both at that price. I guess he really wants to sell them.
He is a bit of a drive away, but that was a deal that I could not pass up. Even if they turn out to be males, it is a great deal. The $55 3" unsexed could have ended up male too.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Could be males and he just labeled them unsexed so that someone can take them off his hands. LOL

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Could be males and he just labeled them unsexed so that someone can take them off his hands. LOL
Okay, I might be being paranoid, and suspicious, but that is exactly what goes through my mind.
In this case, one is male and one is female. He did say to me that he was not comfortable in determining sex and I believe him. The photos I took were done with a 90mm macro lens and show a great deal of detail. Without a good lens, or magnifying glass, I can understand that it isn't that easy to do.
But you said exactly what I'm thinking sometimes. Especially when it comes to other people who have a great deal of sexing experience and have other tarantulas for sale, the same size or smaller, that they have successfully sexed. I also understand that some species are easier than others, though.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay, I might be being paranoid, and suspicious, but that is exactly what goes through my mind.
In this case, one is male and one is female. He did say to me that he was not comfortable in determining sex and I believe him. The photos I took were done with a 90mm macro lens and show a great deal of detail. Without a good lens, or magnifying glass, I can understand that it isn't that easy to do.
But you said exactly what I'm thinking sometimes. Especially when it comes to other people who have a great deal of sexing experience and have other tarantulas for sale, the same size or smaller, that they have successfully sexed. I also understand that some species are easier than others, though.
This is what's always in my mind when I came across Ts posted for sale as unsexed even though the Ts are big enough. Then there are also those dealers that I asked what they suspect the T's gender is and would just reply that they prefer not to tell. I mean why?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is what's always in my mind when I came across Ts posted for sale as unsexed even though the Ts are big enough. Then there are also those dealers that I asked what they suspect the T's gender is and would just reply that they prefer not to tell. I mean why?
Covering their asses in case they're wrong. If I paid the extra price for a sexed T and it turned out to be wrong I'd be pissed and want them to make it right.

Calling them unsexed is insurance so they're off the hook either way.

VanessaS

3 Year Member

Especially when you can get sometimes up to four times more for a female - that is very suspicious. I would think that they would be checking diligently.
Private people I can understand, but dealers I can't.

Latest posts