• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is it normal for grammostola?

IiIyth

3 Year Member
my grammostola pulchra web his entrance to his favorite place in terrarium..is it normal for grammostola? what is he doing ? why he blocked the entrance? i read they dont web often,and mostly when they do it they making a bed of silk in premolt time,but this isnt bed :D..thanks :)
image.jpg

IiIyth

3 Year Member
well said :) but i dont know is it a sign of premolt or he make a web to catch a pray or just making himself a home there :D ? any idea ? he molted 7 times..and than i bought him,so his still a baby..and im new to this and dont have idea is it a premolt or what :D

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would guess pre-molt or stress. I would check and make sure your enclosure set up is meeting all the needs of your species (temp/humidity, etc.). Also, is there uneaten food (i.e. crickets, roaches) wandering around? Sometimes that can stress out a T that is not hungry and I have seen them web up to keep the intruder out of the burrow.

Although I have a gorgeous, healthy Haplopelma hainanum (Chinese Bird Eating Tarantula) that spends most of the time in its burrow. She webs over the opening quite frequently(almost daily) and then removes it. Almost like it is her window to the outside world. None of my other T's do that.
Watched her tear through it effortlessly to grab a cricket once. Right time, right place. If you think it may be stress, get us a description of the set up and there are many, many grammostola owners out here that should be able to help.

IiIyth

3 Year Member
I would guess pre-molt or stress. I would check and make sure your enclosure set up is meeting all the needs of your species (temp/humidity, etc.). Also, is there uneaten food (i.e. crickets, roaches) wandering around? Sometimes that can stress out a T that is not hungry and I have seen them web up to keep the intruder out of the burrow.

Although I have a gorgeous, healthy Haplopelma hainanum (Chinese Bird Eating Tarantula) that spends most of the time in its burrow. She webs over the opening quite frequently(almost daily) and then removes it. Almost like it is her window to the outside world. None of my other T's do that.
Watched her tear through it effortlessly to grab a cricket once. Right time, right place. If you think it may be stress, get us a description of the set up and there are many, many grammostola owners out here that should be able to help.
thanks on reply :)..i dont think its stress..no food in terrarium,i feed him once a week and he eats it,last time he eat a worm 5 days ago..temp is around 23-25 degrees celsius and there is water dish,sometimes i spray a substrate just a little bit on one side of terrarium..he didnt molt since i got him and i have him one month,maybe its that..today i saw he add more silk on the entrance :D

Therasoid

3 Year Member
As Denny stated, its in premolt.
Your temps are fine, water dish available, sub looks good and it has a hide. Try to get a close look at its rump, if its shiny all over, a molt is imminent. These are slow growing and are in premolt longer than most, except Brachypelma, which are about the same. I keep G. pulchripe, porteri and rosea, I sprinkle, not mist, a very small area of the substrate.
Good luck with the molt. [emoji3]

IiIyth

3 Year Member
As Denny stated, its in premolt.
Your temps are fine, water dish available, sub looks good and it has a hide. Try to get a close look at its rump, if its shiny all over, a molt is imminent. These are slow growing and are in premolt longer than most, except Brachypelma, which are about the same. I keep G. pulchripe, porteri and rosea, I sprinkle, not mist, a very small area of the substrate.
Good luck with the molt.
emoji3.png
thanks :) i looked at abdomen and its not shiny but he dont have hairs at the end of abdomen,like a bald spot
image.jpg

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Bald spot could be from kicking hairs as a defense measure, not unusual for this species.
Even the slightist disturbance can cause it to kick urticating hairs. [emoji6]

IiIyth

3 Year Member
Bald spot could be from kicking hairs as a defense measure, not unusual for this species.
Even the slightist disturbance can cause it to kick urticating hairs.
emoji6.png
well he did kick the hair,everytime i try to slightly move him with paint brush he kicks it..so i dont touch him often..aggresive little guy :D or just sqittish?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it's blocking its hide, that's a sign that it wants to be left alone, as it is likely going to molt soon.

Admittedly I have little interest in the Grammastola genus , but some of them do have a lot of personality.

jsolis770

3 Year Member
I would like to know if it's normal for this tarantula to refuse food after two weeks of being feed? I gave it these three small crickets over the days of maybe nine or so... the i waited about week withiut giving it food... Then I try offering it a cricket pprobably the size of a fingertip... dont know ifs its 1/4 or anyways... i left the cricket in there and was not eaten in the 24 hours... also the rosie isprobably is blind or insecure oe whatever emotion... because it didnt eat or attacked the cricket.

It also seems like its true when the forum says these spiders are pet rocks because this tarantula literrally stayed in place while the cricket was hoping around. Also the tarantula is a small one as you can probably see inthis photo of the profile.
Also another note- once i took the cricket out I noticed the spider stayed in place as if it was stunned... it has moved a bit. water is provided on a bottle cap.
Maybe the light is different or the skin of the spider has gotten darker... hoppefully its not dead... death by cricket hoping would be ridiculous - ,-

Latest posts