• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it best to let Curly hair dig?

arachbiodude

I seem to have deep substrate and may see mine every 2 months. I put roaches and have fresh water bowl. I see these at pet store and they are above substrate. Should I remove some substrate so I see it?

birdonfire

3 Year Member
Over the past 6 months or more, my juvie curly hair has largely stayed in its bury. If you don't want a spider that digs, consider a widow. Or just take care of it until its larger when tarantulas are typically more visible.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Keep in mind that even within a species you can get completely different behavior between individuals. T. albopilosus, like many terrestrial species, tend to hide and burrow a lot more during their sling and juvenile stages as they feel safer that way. Consider as well the lighting, these Ts are nocturnal and usually do not venture out during the day as it makes them easy prays. As your "baby" will mature and with the proper enclosure conditions, it might end up spending more and more time in the open although it is really necessary to always offer them somewhere they can hide and feel safe in.
Last but not least, pet stores (in general as there are a few exceptions) do not have the slightest cue of what Ts are and their needs ;)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
T. albopilosus, like many terrestrial species, tend to hide and burrow a lot more during their sling and juvenile stages as they feel safer that way.

We have several Tliltocatl sabulosus, (ex Brachypelma sabulosum.) As a result of a male we shared for breeding with. And almost all of them are never seen above the substrate. The same goes for well over half of our other slings, even the arboreal ones.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I seem to have deep substrate and may see mine every 2 months. I put roaches and have fresh water bowl. I see these at pet store and they are above substrate. Should I remove some substrate so I see it?
Next time it's out, take a picture of it, print out the picture and tape it to the enclosure so that every time you look at the enclosure you can see your tarantula. That way, you can see it every time you look at the enclosure, and the tarantula can just be a tarantula.

In other words, no. Don't remove any substrate. Be better than the big box pet stores.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My girl has a deep burrow in over 6" of substrate. She's out all the time.
20211218_202528.jpg
20211218_202517.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My girl has a deep burrow in over 6" of substrate. She's out all the time. View attachment 62495View attachment 62496
We have several Tliltocatl sabulosus, (ex Brachypelma sabulosum.) As a result of a male we shared for breeding with. And almost all of them are never seen above the substrate. The same goes for well over half of our other slings, even the arboreal ones.
Must only be on that side of the pond. Ive bred 100s of sabulosum, they're always visible at every stage of life. :D
20211128_170702.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have only 1 "shy" Tlitocatl, all the rest are out 90%+ of the time. Some are more skittish thank others when disturbed, but none hide on the regular.

Pics of the enclosure @arachbiodude ?

Jeef

3 Year Member
I get about 50-50 with my T. albopilosus. I got it as a sling and have had it about a year and a half. I do see it more in the evenings than I do during the day. Mine also decided to go on hunger strike after being such a voracious eater.

My A. gabeli buried itself two months ago.
My A. euleytum buried itself two months ago.
My A. moderatum buried itself two months ago.

I had my G. pulchra for about 3 days before it buried itself for about three months. Maybe four.

Did I mention I have a C. darlingi?

Nothing odd about it any of it. They are gonna do what they want to do. I wouldn't get worried. Or impatient.

I have two A. henzii that are about the same size. One almost never comes out of her hole, the other one bulldozed her enclosure and kept blocking the door to her hide no matter how many times I uncovered it. You never know what you are going to get.

Nurse Ratchet

I guess they're all their own T. Research for my T. albo said, deep, dry substrate, moisture bad; calm, docile species. I gave her 7 inches to dig in with a hide and a little burrow started to give her an idea. Nope. Hangs out up top at all times. Never seen her near the burrow. Favorite places to play statue are the base of live plant where substrate is moist, or with one foot in the water dish. Kicks hairs when I open the door, attacks my tongs, and threat poses the water dish when I freshen it. Secretly, I kinda like her feistiness though. Total opposite of my super chill GBB

Latest posts