• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is he about done?

Mr. P

3 Year Member
MM A. avicularia, stays pretty much on the ground now for the last two weeks and doesn't climb much, is he pretty much done?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sounds like its getting close. In the wild they would probably fall to their death but in captivity they end up on the floor. A few of my Male Avics were on the ground towards the end. Had to pre kill all their food and force hydrate them.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't know, he is one of the 16 I got off of Craigslist last May and he hasn't m olted since I've had him.

It sounds as though he may be coming towards the end of his days, You will find his abdomen will shrink. Just make sure he has water available especially if he's not eating.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try placing him in a shallow water dish with the abdomen out of it and the fangs in it with the dish tilted at a shallow angle. This is considered far more effective then the traditional ICU. If he's just dehydrated, you might get a lot of improvement. In any event, its worth a try in my opinion.

If you can get that done and keep him in the same enclosure, so much the better. It'll stress him out a lot less.