• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is Grammostola rosea "RCF" a pet rock?

Meme_Wizard

3 Year Member
Please forgive me if this isn't the right place to be asking this.

I've been thinking about getting a tarantula to cleanse both my fears of bugs and large spiders, and to have as a neat pet.

The G.Rosea RCF seems like a pretty neat one to start on, but I remember someone calling them pet rocks.

I'm just starting out with the hobby so it's probably better that they are, but if he turns out to be right that seems like a very boring pet. I know every tarantula has it's own 'personality' so it kind of varies, but in your experience, is the G.Rosea very rock-ish?

I found a deal online for both the sling and enclosure for 24 bucks (I still need to buy food and tools) and I am hoping that I'll get enough enjoyment out of the pet to make it worth my (scarce) money.

Thanks in advance!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

G. rosea can be moody and go on hunger strikes. For a first tarantula I'd recommend any of the Brachypelmas but a favourite of mine is the B. albopilosum (the curly hair). They spend most of their time digging as slings and they are fascinating to watch scurrying around in their tunnels in the substrate but once they reach 1"-1.5" they begin to spend most of their time in full view on the surface. They are very reliable feeders too which is a bonus.

Meme_Wizard

3 Year Member

G. rosea can be moody and go on hunger strikes. For a first tarantula I'd recommend any of the Brachypelmas but a favourite of mine is the B. albopilosum (the curly hair). They spend most of their time digging as slings and they are fascinating to watch scurrying around in their tunnels in the substrate but once they reach 1"-1.5" they begin to spend most of their time in full view on the surface. They are very reliable feeders too which is a bonus.
This is the second time i've been recommended the curly hair. I might have to give in to it.
They're more expensive on Jamie's, though. Plus they don't have any packs for them.
Money seems to just fly away nowadays.

Most spiders are "pet rocks". They dont expend a lot of energy unless they're hunting or breeding. Mostly they just sit there and look cool..
Looks like i'll have to name her something rock-related, then.
Maybe Rocky, or Asphalt.
My little sister says "Rainbow Shimmer".
Too much MLP I guess.

Meme_Wizard

3 Year Member
If you go with the curly hair, remember, theres two variants. Honduran and Nicaraguan. The Nicaraguan one has a better hairdo, but they're both great spiders.
Thanks, I wasn't aware that there were two different kinds.
If you don't mind me asking, how much should I expect to pay for a Nicaraguan sling?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is the second time i've been recommended the curly hair. I might have to give in to it.
They're more expensive on Jamie's, though. Plus they don't have any packs for them.
Money seems to just fly away nowadays.

You can always use a deli for a sling, the sort you get desserts in (this is one I use for saving old moults)
DSCF8440.JPG

Meme_Wizard

3 Year Member
You can always use a deli for a sling, the sort you get desserts in (this is one I use for saving old moults)
View attachment 21425
I've seen a lot of people using them for slings on youtube. It always makes me cringe a little when they do, though. I feel like they're always gonna bolt. Guess people always have that cup nearby for a reason.

EDIT: Reckon i could make one of these for it?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, I wasn't aware that there were two different kinds.
If you don't mind me asking, how much should I expect to pay for a Nicaraguan sling?
Oh they're cheap as slings, cant be over 15 bucks. You can get a sub adult or adult female fairly cheap too. Think I saw one for fifty bucks recently..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen a lot of people using them for slings on youtube. It always makes me cringe a little when they do, though. I feel like they're always gonna bolt. Guess people always have that cup nearby for a reason.

EDIT: Reckon i could make one of these for it?
I have several of those for slings. They work fine, easy to ventilate with a dremel. Over time they get scratched up and kind of cloudy, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

Redacted

3 Year Member

To that, I'd add the Chaco Golden Knee, Grammostola pulchripes. Big, striking, seldom defensive, bullet-proof.

Good luck with whichever!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ditto all that's said here. Add to the new start T list the GBB, any of the Brachy's, or an A. geniculata. Get them as slings, then you can learn their temperament as they grow.

Meme_Wizard

3 Year Member
Hi guys, thanks for all of the replies!
Unfortunately, my mom wasn't receptive at all to the idea of me getting a Tarantula.
Something about her not being able to sleep or it getting out and biting my 5 month old sister.

I think she's really overestimated their combat abilities. At least of the Curly Hair, right?(Will a terrestrial even be able to make it down the stairs?)

A didn't think a little 1 inch spider could be so terrifying to someone. I think I know where my fear of bugs came from.

That's back to the drawing board for me, good luck with your T's!

Roo

3 Year Member
Please forgive me if this isn't the right place to be asking this.

I've been thinking about getting a tarantula to cleanse both my fears of bugs and large spiders, and to have as a neat pet.

The G.Rosea RCF seems like a pretty neat one to start on, but I remember someone calling them pet rocks.

I'm just starting out with the hobby so it's probably better that they are, but if he turns out to be right that seems like a very boring pet. I know every tarantula has it's own 'personality' so it kind of varies, but in your experience, is the G.Rosea very rock-ish?

I found a deal online for both the sling and enclosure for 24 bucks (I still need to buy food and tools) and I am hoping that I'll get enough enjoyment out of the pet to make it worth my (scarce) money.

Thanks in advance!

I have a few species in that genus and they have all been pretty active. But then some tarantulas just do the exact opposite of what they are meant to do.

Latest posts