• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is Bruce female?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi, I don't know if this is wishful thinking but is Bruce (Ceratogyrus darlingi) female? He finally didn't bury the moult so I could spread it out. I found the horn moult really cool so have included that too :p

Moult 2 - Copy.JPG
Moult 3 - Copy.JPG
Horn - Copy.JPG
Bruce moult - Copy.JPG

And if possible, could anyone give a guess for Leta? (Brachypelma emelia). I haven't been able to get her moult so I'm not sure if these bad pictures are any use:

Leta ab - Copy.JPG
DSC09238 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• 1634307315103.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1634307332244.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can't take it any more! (Nerd alert incoming) The "Shrek ears" are a type of spermathecae: the little storage recepticles where the male places his sperm.
Yes, spermatheca are where the female store sperm after insertion by the male. Males have gonopores in roughly the same spot as the dots in those pics.

See here

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Now sulking after being told off :(
Think I'll leave it to the experts in future :)

Haha, I think both the technical and funny terms are helpful. I can flick through tarantula files in my head and have one headed 'Shrek ears' which is easier to remember to help me then locate the spermatheca, gonopores and... the rest of the info ;)

Latest posts