• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is Bigger Better

Rich Kaminski

3 Year Member
When it comes to housing your tarantula's how is yours set up? I was wondering how other people display there t's. Also what type of tarantula. I would guess the only draw back with a bigger set up is maybe you would never see them, or rarely, but I am on the twisted side, and like skulls, faux cacti, logs, bones ect. I am going to try to get as close to its natural envirololment as I can. Minus the skulls, faux cacti, logs, bones, etc.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My response from your other thread:
the issue is mostly wasted space. Most Tarantulas (Goliaths being an exception) , have a relatively small range. And the mass majority of a large enclosure will be un-used. That creates a feeding issue. Feeding singular prey items, makes it very difficult for a T to regularly catch its prey.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have my 3 inch A.avic in an exoterra nano (8x8x8), and she seems happy in there.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I caged most of my T's on the bigger side, mainly so I dont have to keep moving them around.. my P. Murinus is about 3/4 to 1" or so, and I wont even have to consider moving her until about 2- 2.5". My B. Vagans is around 1.5" and should be good for another moult or 2.

[

Rich Kaminski

3 Year Member
Is this box too small for this one, the body is around 3`this box is 13x8x5.the only problem is when I open the lid, the spider is ready to roam, and this one is pretty fast.

Attachments

• IMG_20121214_182714.jpg
    IMG_20121214_182714.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20121214_182659.jpg
    IMG_20121214_182659.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 33

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Size wise I think it looks fine (admittedly I'm no expert). Any chance of finding one that's the same length/width but is a bit taller, just to give yourself some leeway on your roaming buddy? Also, do you have ventilation holes drilled somewhere?

Rich Kaminski

3 Year Member
Yes, it has about 10 holes drilled on side near the top. I am just trying to figure the best housing. I like this box, I did see that this one has a hard time feeding, even in a 5 gallon fish tank.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is this box too small for this one, the body is around 3`this box is 13x8x5.the only problem is when I open the lid, the spider is ready to roam, and this one is pretty fast.

Try and get something close to 12x12. and a little depth couldn't hurt. Go to the Container Store and pick up a sweater box. They're perfect imo

Rich Kaminski

3 Year Member
For the Chaco, for now I will swith it to a five gallon tank, I figure its better then what is in now, that would be a ten gallon, with about two inches, of coco and sand, also all I have for a hide is the log, it was in. Its full of web, I was going to remove that web, is that a good idea? I also found a nice box for my wild caught blonde, its a sterilite, show off style, it gave we about antoher three inches, so that spider can't climb out.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you got the Chaco? Congrts. I personally don't like logs, but you can use it. No need to remove the web.

jtrux

3 Year Member
I have a B. Smithi in a rather large rubbermaid container for her size (shoe box sized, she/he is only 2" maybe) and i've noticed that she uses the whole thing very regularly. She has a burrow on one end under her water bowl and she patrols the whole thing even after a feed. Other larger T's I have will just guard their burrow and that's about it. I guess it just depends but really and truly it's not necessary. I think even in the wild they don't really have a large range. Once they find a spot they tend to stick with it.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All of my adults go into 10 gal enclosures. Except my AF A behlei, who is in a 5gal, since she is so small. My AF T stirmi is in a 55gal natural vivarium.
I prefer to do natural environment set ups, and do not view it as wasted space. I see them as space well used. All my Ts regularly explore their entire habitat area. I find it more possible to view behaviors closure to natural this way.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think basically as long as they don't have a hard time finding/catching their prey, then size is up to the keeper. Karina is not very big, and her tank was bigger than what was recommended to me for her, but she does fine with catching her prey so I feel ok with the tank size....if she had have had issues I would have downsized. I'd love to see pics of your enclosures, Scoolman...natural vivs are always cool to see!

Latest posts