• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introduction

boxerdog10

Hello everyone, just starting out with spidering, my name is John (marine10) from Buffalo. I’ve had just about every pet imaginable but always been fascinated with Ts . I obtained a small collection of Ts in one week, kind of went nuts. 3 orange baboons, a Camaroon red baboon, gooty sapphire,and a Brazilian white knee. I hope all you experts out there can help me, for I will have many questions. Thanks all, looking forward to chatting

Jeef

3 Year Member
Greetings and welcome aboard from down the road a bit!

Did you score your crew at a pet store or online? I stay away from the big box stores. Our LPS is cool, but they understandably don't have much variety. I don't mind the mail-order route, but I like picking them up in person too. Rexpo 2023 is going to be 4/8 in Rochester. I usually get some pretty good scores there.

Cheers!

boxerdog10

Greetings and welcome aboard from down the road a bit!

Did you score your crew at a pet store or online? I stay away from the big box stores. Our LPS is cool, but they understandably don't have much variety. I don't mind the mail-order route, but I like picking them up in person too. Rexpo 2023 is going to be 4/8 in Rochester. I usually get some pretty good scores there.

Cheers!
I got them at a pet store in Lockport, I’ve dealt with them for years and they bring back a lot from expos etc,they have a huge selection.

boxerdog10

Hello , can I please get advice. I have juvenile presumed female OBT, obtained her about two weeks ago, she’s in a 12 by 12 Zilla. Nice cork hides etc. hasn’t taken any crickets , just hides and didn’t come out. Thank you to whoever can help.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello , can I please get advice. I have juvenile presumed female OBT, obtained her about two weeks ago, she’s in a 12 by 12 Zilla. Nice cork hides etc. hasn’t taken any crickets , just hides and didn’t come out. Thank you to whoever can help.

To begin with it can take them a while to settle in to a new home, sometimes weeks, 2 weeks is nothing to worry about just make sure she has water available at all times.
I have always found that OBTs can behave as an arboreal T, I always give them the option and provide an upright cork bark or wood "tree" and a plant so they can climb and create web tunnels upwards. Less substrate for them to burrow in also encourages them to go up.

boxerdog10

To begin with it can take them a while to settle in to a new home, sometimes weeks, 2 weeks is nothing to worry about just make sure she has water available at all times.
I have always found that OBTs can behave as an arboreal T, I always give them the option and provide an upright cork bark or wood "tree" and a plant so they can climb and create web tunnels upwards. Less substrate for them to burrow in also encourages them to go up.
Thank you sir, still learning, will do that in her encloser

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you sir, still learning, will do that in her encloser

When I bought my first OBT I was a complete beginner, she was my first tarantula and I got slated for keeping her in an arboreal container but she loved it and spent most of her life at the top of it (that's her in my avatar).
My current juvi is following the same pattern and has webbed all around the top of her "tree" as you can see in my photo taken as a side view of her container.

She is approximately a third of the way down in the webbing between plant and wood.
DSCF6365.JPG

boxerdog10

When I bought my first OBT I was a complete beginner, she was my first tarantula and I got slated for keeping her in an arboreal container but she loved it and spent most of her life at the top of it (that's her in my avatar).
My current juvi is following the same pattern and has webbed all around the top of her "tree" as you can see in my photo taken as a side view of her container.

She is approximately a third of the way down in the webbing between plant and wood.
View attachment 70171

boxerdog10

Nice set up , I know what you mean about them, want

View attachment 70171

boxerdog10

Thanks for the info. Yes I’m a beginner myself and just had to have the obt. I have the 3 and it seems they all have different characteristics or personality’s

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the info. Yes I’m a beginner myself and just had to have the obt. I have the 3 and it seems they all have different characteristics or personality’s

They are a beautiful Tarantula. You will find that even Ts of the same species can have very different habits.

boxerdog10

They are a beautiful Tarantula. You will find that even Ts of the same species can have very different habits.
Thank you Enn49. Can I come to you for advice? I’m just starting and I’m looking for someone knowledgeable in Ts . I appreciate any time given. Thank you