• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Interesting husbandry notes on a Lasiodora species

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't have any lasiadora Sp. (I am going to get an L. klugi or three and an L. dificillis or three at some point this year) (I probably butchered the spelling). However let us call forth some members who may or may not have had experience with all the species in the Lasiadora genus. @Casey K. @sdsnybny @Austin S.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I 10,000% recommend them. Sure the Klugi is cool, but don't automatically reject either more common or more rare species if that's all available.

If you're willing to do an unsexed sling, that'll make your search easier and cheaper.

They burrow when younger.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
I only have one of them, L. parahybana, and Toms husbandry is spot on. Mine loves a damp side of her enclosure. Same food response as his L. itabunae. They grow pretty fast as well. i bought mine about 2 yares ago at 1" and next molt she should break 7"

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are all of the L difficilis psychotic or does it vary by individual? Overall, my Klugi is extremely calm, but dislikes human skin which precludes handling. There's a powerful feeding response and tong feeding is a bad idea. She's almost ran up them a few times. The best way to feed is to vertically drop the food in front of her or nearby.

This is an older video of her before I rehoused her into the 5 gallon about 2 molts ago.

When she got to chubby to use her skull to hide, I got threat postures. A bigger hide and bigger enclosure solved that.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I have a 6" female Lp and a 1.5" L.klugi. Both look much different now of course but the little klugi looks very similar to what my Lp did when she was roughly that size. It dose seem the klugi is slower growing then the Lp though. I got my Lp at 1.5" and she reached 5" within a year. I got my klugi 9 months ago at about .75" and since then only got to 1.5". So any difference I've noticed so fare as been growth rate.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a 6" female Lp and a 1.5" L.klugi. Both look much different now of course but the little klugi looks very similar to what my Lp did when she was roughly that size. It dose seem the klugi is slower growing then the Lp though. I got my Lp at 1.5" and she reached 5" within a year. I got my klugi 9 months ago at about .75" and since then only got to 1.5". So any difference I've noticed so fare as been growth rate.

Is the diet and temperature the same for both?

I got mine at 1.5 to maybe 2 inches, now she's probably about 5. I posted about that already.

https://tarantulaforum.com/media/l-klugi-measured-after-latest-molt.4961/

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are all of the L difficilis psychotic or does it vary by individual? Overall, my Klugi is extremely calm, but dislikes human skin which precludes handling. There's a powerful feeding response and tong feeding is a bad idea. She's almost ran up them a few times. The best way to feed is to vertically drop the food in front of her or nearby.

This is an older video of her before I rehoused her into the 5 gallon about 2 molts ago.

When she got to chubby to use her skull to hide, I got threat postures. A bigger hide and bigger enclosure solved that.
This is the only one I've kept, but to this day she threat poses as soon as I take her lid off. She sometimes drools venom, you can see it dripping. She thinks she's an obt :D I had a G pulchripes that was psycho as well, but he grew out of it recently. Either that or he's trying to trick me into complacency..

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He's so tiny....eating a superworm. I didnt want to disturb him by removing the lid for a photo.
20180114_073412.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is the only one I've kept, but to this day she threat poses as soon as I take her lid off. She sometimes drools venom, you can see it dripping. She thinks she's an obt :D I had a G pulchripes that was psycho as well, but he grew out of it recently. Either that or he's trying to trick me into complacency..

How big is the hide for her? If they can't get into the hide fast enough or its to small or the enclosure is to small, you'll get threat postures.

Before mine mellowed out, I would simply blow through the screen gently and send her scampering underground before opening the enclosure.

Now she's so laid back she ignores me until the mealworm drops.

The onlyother thing is that I have to water the frog moss through the screen when closed because she attacks the water drops. It's actually hilarious. Same thing happens when I fill the water dish!!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I fed it a live pinhead cricket the same size...its a extremely vicious eater. I also cut up superworms too. I've never tried fruit flies...they do have them where I get my feeders. Might try them this weekend.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How big is the hide for her? If they can't get into the hide fast enough or its to small or the enclosure is to small, you'll get threat postures.

Before mine mellowed out, I would simply blow through the screen gently and send her scampering underground before opening the enclosure.

Now she's so laid back she ignores me until the mealworm drops.

The onlyother thing is that I have to water the frog moss through the screen when closed because she attacks the water drops. It's actually hilarious. Same thing happens when I fill the water dish!!
She's due a rehouse soon, but she's always been like this. Her mother must have dropped her on her carapace..

Latest posts