• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Insects found in Curly Hair enclosure after molting

Azazel Curly

Hello, I am relatively new to tarantula keeping. Recently my Curly hair retreated into its cave and molted. I checked today and removed the molt. I found these two insects? in the cavern. The little mite-looking insect was already dead, but the larvae-looking thing is still alive. can anyone identify this thing that I found? Is it harmful and or do I need to put it back in the enclosure? Thank you in advance. Any advice is welcomed to this newcomer!

Attachments

• Mite2.jpg
    Mite2.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Yellow.jpg
    Yellow.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • Mite 1.jpg
    Mite 1.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 15

Leepbby

Hello, I am relatively new to tarantula keeping. Recently my Curly hair retreated into its cave and molted. I checked today and removed the molt. I found these two insects? in the cavern. The little mite-looking insect was already dead, but the larvae-looking thing is still alive. can anyone identify this thing that I found? Is it harmful and or do I need to put it back in the enclosure? Thank you in advance. Any advice is welcomed to this newcomer!
Picture 1 and 3 are the molt of the mealworm/superworm. Which ever feeder you had given your T, it appears that it did not eat it and it pupated into the stage just before it turns into a beetle. Best to just take them out.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Always behead mealworms etc before putting them in, as they bury themselves & the beetles can be a problem during a T's molt, as T's are very vulnerable then. A beheaded mealworm will normally still be able to move 24 hours after it has lost it's head, so it still offers something close to live food.