• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

injured tarantula

tarantula love

3 Year Member
Hay guys!... If never really had tarantulas that was injured,but this time I got a aboreal wth 2missing legs and 1missing amboli on the tight side,, how long can they go without food?I hope this one decides to eat someday

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello!

What species is it? What size? Did it come to you with the missing legs? Do you have a pic? :)

They can cast off their own legs if they get injured, and they will regenerated them after a few molts. If a spider suffer a particularly traumatic injury, they will sometimes have a fast molt to repair the damage. Spiders that do this will molt quite close to a previous molt and sometimes won't eat much in between.

I've had a couple regenerate missing limbs, and it's an amazing process to watch. The new limbs will smaller than the others when it molts next, but they will put on more size with each consecutive molt.

If you just got the tarantula, it could just be taking it's time to settle in. Try giving it a few days before trying again. They can generally go a long time without eating. Make sure to have water available to it at all times.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
You stated its missing an emboli? those only come on Mature Males. If thats the case, depending on species he probably wont survive the next molt. If you meant pedipalps then it will probably regenerate them just as Tom stated.
Species, size, and clear pics will help much.

tarantula love

3 Year Member
Hello!

What species is it? What size? Did it come to you with the missing legs? Do you have a pic? :)

They can cast off their own legs if they get injured, and they will regenerated them after a few molts. If a spider suffer a particularly traumatic injury, they will sometimes have a fast molt to repair the damage. Spiders that do this will molt quite close to a previous molt and sometimes won't eat much in between.

I've had a couple regenerate missing limbs, and it's an amazing process to watch. The new limbs will smaller than the others when it molts next, but they will put on more size with each consecutive molt.

If you just got the tarantula, it could just be taking it's time to settle in. Try giving it a few days before trying again. They can generally go a long time without eating. Make sure to have water available to it at all times.
Thanky u,I went to get it from petchop and when the owner show him to me ,he just ran out! And when the owner catched him his legs broke of,so I still took him home,his about 2cm,its a gooty saphire ,I take very good care of him :) I just descovered that my phone won't receive any photos ! Or media :(

Last edited:

tarantula love

3 Year Member
You stated its missing an emboli? those only come on Mature Males. If thats the case, depending on species he probably wont survive the next molt. If you meant pedipalps then it will probably regenerate them just as Tom stated.
Species, size, and clear pics will help much.
Sorry then its pedipalp ,I'll try post a photo

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanky u,I went to get it from petchop and when the owner show him to me ,he just ran out! And when the owner catched him his legs broke of,so I still took him home,his about 2cm,its a gooty saphire ,I take very good care of him :) oh sory I'll try post a pic,but the quality isn't so good

Awwww...poor little dude! It's experienced some trauma and it's in a new environment, so I would give it some time to settle in before trying to feed it. Make sure it has a spot to feel secure; that will help. Of the species of pokies I've raised, the gooty (P. metallica) was the one that would sometime refuse food as a sling. It was a bit shyer than some of my others.

If it has lost a pedipalp, you may consider killing or wounding the cricket before you put it in to make it easier for you spider to subdue and eat it. Drop it in the enclosure at night, and remove it the next morning if it hasn't eaten.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
I had a spider that completely lost it's fangs in a bad molt and still lived to molt again (this time, with fangs). I had to squish up roaches and feed it the guts (that was super gross!)

Your tarantula will regenerate it's legs in it's next molt, and should have no problem eating, but as Tomoran suggests, kill or wound the food first. But I'm sure your tarantula will be just fine.

tarantula love

3 Year Member
I had a spider that completely lost it's fangs in a bad molt and still lived to molt again (this time, with fangs). I had to squish up roaches and feed it the guts (that was super gross!)
OH MY!!! That's just awefull :( ill try give him dead cricket on sunday ,thanks! I watched him clean itself this morning and shame,he went laying on his left side to clean the right side,but his fine so far
Your tarantula will regenerate it's legs in it's next molt, and should have no problem eating, but as Tomoran suggests, kill or wound the food first. But I'm sure your tarantula will be just fine.

tarantula love

3 Year Member
Awwww...poor little dude! It's experienced some trauma and it's in a new environment, so I would give it some time to settle in before trying to feed it. Make sure it has a spot to feel secure; that will help. Of the species of pokies I've raised, the gooty (P. metallica) was the one that would sometime refuse food as a sling. It was a bit shyer than some of my others.

If it has lost a pedipalp, you may consider killing or wounding the cricket before you put it in to make it easier for you spider to subdue and eat it. Drop it in the enclosure at night, and remove it the next morning if it hasn't eaten.
Thanks ,I wil try that! His behaviour seems fine