• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Info on Selecosmia peerboomi?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pretty unpopular species, in Youtube that is. Can anyone please supply me info on our very own local T? Bit of irony right there but I don't want to keep one unless I'm pretty sure what are its requirements.

Thanks guys! :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Selenocosmia are Australian. Australasia to be more specific. Probably why there's so little info, they don't allow exporting or importing invertibrates. At least in Australia and New Zealand. I'm finding more on that than the actual spider.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The S. peerboomi is actually found in our island, one of two islands, here in the Philippines, being an archipelago which is composed of 7,100 islands. Now I have a friend who have breed them and is selling some slings. I have asked about setup requirements and the basic care through him.

I just wanted to obtain more concrete info on this guys from this forum thinking that someone might have an idea. I guess I will be supplying the data then if ever I will get some specimen of this T. ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Been peeking at old posts on ab etc, just not finding much on specific care ,
they do say they are easy to keep though.:p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The S. peerboomi is actually found in our island, one of two islands, here in the Philippines, being an archipelago which is composed of 7,100 islands. Now I have a friend who have breed them and is selling some slings. I have asked about setup requirements and the basic care through him.

I just wanted to obtain more concrete info on this guys from this forum thinking that someone might have an idea. I guess I will be supplying the data then if ever I will get some specimen of this T. ;)
you know more than i do already with the google searches last night. You'll have to start publishing care sheets. Don't forget to include the specific humidity ranges and temp ranges like all the other care sheets. or have some fun with it like if it drops below 80% humidity and 30C then it will turn into a gremlin T.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Add another trash to all the rubbish caresheets floating out there? LOL

Apparently, in only gets up to 4inches and can live 15 to 20 years for females. It also loves moist substrate and a fairly deep one as well like 5 to 7 inches. ;)

micheldied

3 Year Member
Being that they are local to you, it should be easy for you to figure out their humidity and temperature requirements. They're probably just like any other Selenocosmia; medium-sized, fast and defensive-ish, keep like any tropical burrower.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Being that they are local to you, it should be easy for you to figure out their humidity and temperature requirements. They're probably just like any other Selenocosmia; medium-sized, fast and defensive-ish, keep like any tropical burrower.
I decided to pass on this one. It is apparently an obligate burrower. Might only got to see it when rehousing. Or you rehouse just to see your T! ;) Thanks for that @micheldied

micheldied

3 Year Member
I decided to pass on this one. It is apparently an obligate burrower. Might only got to see it when rehousing. Or you rehouse just to see your T! ;) Thanks for that @micheldied

They are indeed obligate burrowers, though not as bad as the Cyriapagopus. I often find the more elusive species more interesting.

eproxymous

3 Year Member
This is very common in our place I lived in Negros Oriental. I have one adult not sure with the gender,they are obligated burrowers but mine usually go out from his burrow at night. They are an Old World T's very defensive and fast, I can't even handle my S.Peerboomi. Also please do put a water disk they usualy are found living near a creek.

Last edited:

eproxymous

3 Year Member
IMG_20160417_232447.jpg

eproxymous

3 Year Member
I have a friend who is selling some S.Peerboomi slings try to text this number Clinton Shrine 09161355687

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a friend who is selling some S.Peerboomi slings try to text this number Clinton Shrine 09161355687
Oh, we know each other from FB, but then again, I decided to pass on on this species. What I meant is other slings that might be interesting to add to my T friends. :) Actually, Clinton may have some pulchra slings coming, as well as balfouri slings. I may just have some room available! ;)

jass

3 Year Member
Any way I have here a 4.5inches I dunno if its orph or peerbomi, I have also a 5.5inches Pot or Philippine orange tarantula both of them are females.

LocalTs

3 Year Member
Hi,

I was looking for a local tarantula here in the Philippines and found this forum and wondering if you know someone selling POT/Peerboomie in Metro Manila?

Nel

3 Year Member
@LocalTs, there is someone selling POT that I came across while browsing FB groups a while ago. Not sure if I can paste the link here though.