• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

info on Barylestis scutatus

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Noticed these for sale they look like a huntsman but cant find any info on them does anyone have any info thanks

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
There doesn't seem to be much info out there. The common name is Cameroon Crab Spider. They are a long legged, fast moving, African spider. That's all I can come up with, nothing on care or venom strength.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
There doesn't seem to be much info out there. The common name is Cameroon Crab Spider. They are a long legged, fast moving, African spider. That's all I can come up with, nothing on care or venom strength.
Hmm interesting ive bought 2 of them now so just have to keep searching for information thanks anyway

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Thought I'd do a little update on my Barylestis scutatus as there is no info out there about them little is known about the venom but im told you don't want to get tagged anyway she's growing fast she's at the mo about 4 inches they get a bit bigger I think they can get to the 6 inch mark I have a pic of a dead on on my hand as they don't last long once a sack has been dropped. Temperature ive kept her at is just room temp keep it dry with misting 2-3 times a week I've had mine for 2 months now and she's doing very well moulted twice and she loves to eat. No problem taking down a large cricket once a week and she hits hard no messing around. Temperament aggressive very aggressive she attacked the water when I sprayed and I was trying to do maintenance to enclosure she attacked my big tweezers and the decided to sprint up them and ended up out side the tank extremely fast. So here's the info I have since keeping her should you come across this very nice true species

Attachments

• 20140626_112907-picsay.jpg
    20140626_112907-picsay.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 658
  • 20140518_120833.jpg
    20140518_120833.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 718

adykay

3 Year Member
Thought I'd do a little update on my Barylestis scutatus as there is no info out there about them little is known about the venom but im told you don't want to get tagged anyway she's growing fast she's at the mo about 4 inches they get a bit bigger I think they can get to the 6 inch mark I have a pic of a dead on on my hand as they don't last long once a sack has been dropped. Temperature ive kept her at is just room temp keep it dry with misting 2-3 times a week I've had mine for 2 months now and she's doing very well moulted twice and she loves to eat. No problem taking down a large cricket once a week and she hits hard no messing around. Temperament aggressive very aggressive she attacked the water when I sprayed and I was trying to do maintenance to enclosure she attacked my big tweezers and the decided to sprint up them and ended up out side the tank extremely fast. So here's the info I have since keeping her should you come across this very nice true species
do you still have a cameroon crab spider?, ive ordered one and I was wondering what enclosure i should use, any suggestions? thanks.
Noticed these for sale they look like a huntsman but cant find any info on them does anyone have any info thanks

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
do you still have a cameroon crab spider?, ive ordered one and I was wondering what enclosure i should use, any suggestions? thanks.

Hi yes I do she's doing really well I have a in a basic set up with about 1inch of substrate and a half tube bark sitting length ways which she sits in during the day and thats it I got mine at about 3rd instar but put her in a spacious tank because there a nightmare to catch I thought pokies were quick well these guys are so so fast. Now she's grown into the enclosure. First couple of months she sat at the top corner of the enclosure after a couple of moults she began using the bark. She comes out at night this is where the fun begins watching them either hunt or ambush there prey mine now 1 moult away and is aggressive that combined with the speed you don't want her escaping

adykay

3 Year Member
Hi yes I do she's doing really well I have a in a basic set up with about 1inch of substrate and a half tube bark sitting length ways which she sits in during the day and thats it I got mine at about 3rd instar but put her in a spacious tank because there a nightmare to catch I thought pokies were quick well these guys are so so fast. Now she's grown into the enclosure. First couple of months she sat at the top corner of the enclosure after a couple of moults she began using the bark. She comes out at night this is where the fun begins watching them either hunt or ambush there prey mine now 1 moult away and is aggressive that combined with the speed you don't want her escaping
do you not need a heat light with these spiders?, and is it always aggressive?

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I've kept mine room temp and she been fine when young more skittish as the get bigger then the aggression kicks in my one ran up the tongs lol

adykay

3 Year Member
I've kept mine room temp and she been fine when young more skittish as the get bigger then the aggression kicks in my one ran up the tongs lol
hahahaha!, im a little bit worried because its my first spider and i wanted a more calmer species but i didnt know anything about the cameroon crab spider because its so difficult to get information about them but oh well it should be fun hahaha

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Its your 1st wow your in for a treat only problem I have is when I do maintenance ive worked out a technic but it scares me. ive got 2 enclosures 1 clean already when she's in the bark day time I put the 2 enclosures together and literary pick the bark up and put it in the other. clean the old one then visa versa it gets pretty dirty because I spray mine 1 or 2 time a week she drinks off the drops of water after a while it's water stained

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
hahahaha!, im a little bit worried because its my first spider and i wanted a more calmer species but i didnt know anything about the cameroon crab spider because its so difficult to get information about them but oh well it should be fun hahaha
20140918_125353.jpg

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Definitely the spider is active in the evening and night and spends the day in the hide just the fact there's nothing on the Internet makes it that little bit special

adykay

3 Year Member
Definitely the spider is active in the evening and night and spends the day in the hide just the fact there's nothing on the Internet makes it that little bit special[/QUOTE
Definitely the spider is active in the evening and night and spends the day in the hide just the fact there's nothing on the Internet makes it that little bit special
what is the bite like off these spiders?

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I dont know all I was told was don't get bit they are African so the venom will be more potent same goes for the tarantulas from Africa most if not all African spiders are aggressive and have potent venom just treat it with respect and try not to get it angry as I said earlier it ran up my tongs and out the enclosure quicker than I could blink it. raised up in the the treat position and striked first

adykay

3 Year Member
I dont know all I was told was don't get bit they are African so the venom will be more potent same goes for the tarantulas from Africa most if not all African spiders are aggressive and have potent venom just treat it with respect and try not to get it angry as I said earlier it ran up my tongs and out the enclosure quicker than I could blink it. raised up in the the treat position and striked first
Oh i shall be wearing thick gloves wile doing maintenance, for me it was either the Cameroon crab spider or the Madagascar fishing spider but I chose this species because it seemed to be the more exciting of the two

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Oh i shall be wearing thick gloves wile doing maintenance, for me it was either the Cameroon crab spider or the Madagascar fishing spider but I chose this species because it seemed to be the more exciting of the two
Did you get the spider from viginiacheeseman that's where I got mine

Latest posts