• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

InEx Situ Gallery

InEx Situ

3 Year Member
1.0.0 Monocentropus balfouri
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG

InEx Situ

3 Year Member
Borneo Biotope for P. everetti
This biotope project began on 16 August 2018, with the intention to create a naturalistic vivarium to mimic the microenvironment or ex-situ (excluding conservation) of the P. everetti's habitat. I've been contemplating if I should keep this project to myself (fear of other keeper's rejection lol :D) or share with the tarantula community. I have decided on the latter. So here it is, a detailed husbandry and ex-situ record of the Borneo Biotope of Phormingochilus everetti.

The enclosure is an Exo Terra 12"x12"x18" with acrylic top instead of the original mesh top. Drainage layer composed of crushed lump wood charcoal with a mesh barrier to prevent soil from entering the drainage layer. Soil composition is of Exo Terra plantation soil (coco fiber), finely grounded lump wood charcoal and dust, sphagnum moss, sand, and clay. Vertical driftwood to mimic tree trunk and a plethora of flora that are found in Borneo and nearby islands. Microfauna includes temperate springtails, silver springtails (that popped out of nowhere!), dwarf white isopods (Trichorhina tomentosa), and Zebra isopods (Armadillidium maculatum, spider ate them all:T:) The biotope is also monitored and provided a wet and dry season environment.

During the introduction of the specimen into the biotope, the size of the tarantula was 1" dls. The first night, the Theraphosid dug a retreat at the base of the tree trunk, which was disappointing because my hypothesis claimed that the arboreal tarantula would prefer the higher, arboreal retreat when provided a similar habitat to their natural environment. However, the spider was found on the highest point of the tree trunk the next couple of days and develop a solid arboreal retreat. In this research/experimentation, the 1" Theraphosid does utilize a higher retreat when given the opportunity and when the parameters of the environment are suitable and accessible. Not only does this biotope provide an aesthetic vivarium, but it also offers a similar microhabitat found in situ. With this successful experimentation, I am looking forward to providing the same biotope for my other tarantulas and record the process (and potentially a YouTube video).
IMG_0460.JPG IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0465.JPG IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0470.JPG

Last edited: