• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

In regards to feeding/misting.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Ok, so I know ive been making a lot of posts, but Ive become addicted. And I very much enjoy being able to talk to others about this hobby as nobody I know really seems to share my enthusiasm for spiders lol. Anyhow, I have 2 ts now. One haitian bird eater, who is probably between juvenile and adult, 6-7" im guessing and a pink toe that is juvenile, 2-3", guess. The Haitian I plan to feed every 4-5 days, mist every 2-3, and the pink toe 2-3 day feed, everyday mist. Good idea? Bad idea? As for heat, right now i have a ceramic heater on the two of them... lol, until i can get some heating pads. Temp is about 70F. I figure within a week or 2 ill have heating pads for the both of them. Just want these guys to be happy as possible. Noticed they seem to have a pretty solid cycle of when they're active and when they just sit for hours. Thoughts, comments, ideas? Thanks guys, cheers \m/

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Misting and artificial heating actually aren't necessary under normal circumstances...an exception being extremely low temps. A minimum of 60 F is a good rule to follow. Unless you're keeping babies under 2 inches or the swamp species, adding moisture to the cage (beyond the water dish) is also generally not needed except during premolt, when it can help to lightly mist the tarantula and the cage once a day. For the Pinktoe, you can use a bigger water dish to give her a bit more humidity; these are said to thrive best on a slightly higher humidity. As for feeding, a couple of crickets a week (or around 6-8 a month) is plenty. Just the guidelines I stick to. Good luck and enjoy your spiders! :)

Spidro

3 Year Member
Thanks sabeth appreciate the tips. I got a thermometer and hydrometer for my Haitian, tanks normally around 60-70, got a heatpad for him, its winter here and it gets to about 50 in the basement where I live :p cut way down on the misting as the hydrometer read about 80... now I keep it around 30-40 for him. Also got a waterdish which is compareable to a lake for the size of my pinktoes tank. But theres plenty for her to climb on, and room for a borrow/hide still. I think they have been doing much better :) been about 4 days in their new setups, think their both still getting adjudted to them. But they eat regularily, feed the pink toe maybe 2-3 times a week, Haitian mabe once or twice. Things have been going good \m/

Latest posts