• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Impaction, ruptured abdomen? Lethargic T

babyjacks

Hey guys long time no post. So my c sellatus had gotten impaction, I cleaned him up every time & one time it shot out poop. Today he’s clogged up again, his abdomen looks to be see thru. Also I have noticed blood in the center under his abdomen. Is he dying? Is he in pain? Is it time to euthanize? I’m so lost I can’t really find information on this. I’m not even really sure if it’s impaction or something else. His abdomen is like a grape, plump and kind of see thru. It has a blood like red spot under it. He seems super lethargic. He can usually climb up his little treasure chest like he’s arboreal but today he couldn’t even get the strength to climb over it. Thoughts? I don’t have any pictures bc I was too baffled to even reach for my phone. I’ll try to get some later.

babyjacks

4E54B1E9-FBF7-47E3-8CA9-63C096C71ADD.jpeg
A6A87F5E-4EAA-4722-B232-E76178E79520.jpeg
9C1CA2BA-1864-4B7A-AC4C-04C20FBC7F3F.jpeg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hi, are there any updates? Can you see signs of impaction(ie dried poop around it's bottom and possibly a swollen spinneret)?

The abdomen certainly looks very swollen, like you'd expect on an impacted T. I was initially thinking the lesion is either from the T's own efforts to unblock itself, or/and from dragging it's abdomen repeatably.
Now I'm not so sure, as the booklungs are in bad shape too. Also, the abdomen would be full of poop, but you say it's see through, so that doesn't sound like it's impacted.

If it is impaction, the prognosis is not good I'm afraid, and you've done a great job of treating it so far. I've only heard a couple of stories of the T surviving, because it managed to moult. It's thought that a problem with a moult causes impaction.

Whether you should euthanise or not is something only you can decide. If I was in your shoes, and I decided to do it, I'd probably wait another 48 hours, just so I could say that I gave it every chance to suprise me with a miracle recovery, or maybe it will pass naturally.

Hope to hear a positive update but I'm a very optimistic person. Sending you best wishes.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks like a drag injury or fall rupture to me. When a spider gets too fat they cant lift there abdomens to walk. They drag on everything creating a sore...
A fall could have caused a split also. That hard plastic decor could have caused either scenario. Looks like it's in premolt too...which they are prone to falls at this time.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As for euthanizing...doesnt look bad enough to me to consider it yet. As for suffering...spiders aren't built like us. Theres still a great debate on whether they actually feel pain. It's a heated discussion but over the years caring for spiders I lean to the side that they dont. I'll probably get crucified for saying that but prove me wrong...;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If do remember correctly this is a MM, so it probably would explain even better him being clumsy and lethargic is caused by premolt.
If its a mature male(blurry photos) then it's been fed way too much. This will trigger another molt in which it's more then likely going to get stuck unless it is helped out. Amputation of the pedipalps during the molting process will give it a chance to live alot longer.

Nunua

3 Year Member
If its a mature male(blurry photos) then it's been fed way too much. This will trigger another molt in which it's more then likely going to get stuck unless it is helped out. Amputation of the pedipalps during the molting process will give it a chance to live alot longer.
It's this one

babyjacks

EC92D296-52C9-44C7-B305-852510A1DA94.jpeg
Found him like this on Wednesday night, waited till Thursday afternoon to make a decision, then I put him in the freezer :( Adam is no longer with us.