• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm unsure so thought I'd ask

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so I'm an idiot. That part I'm sure about. But I've just seen a post (on a Facebook page which might explain it) of a C Versi sling eating a cricket (much too large for it). Now it did take it down but in my view it was a lot of risk to the spider.

My question to him though was about the enclosure. It was a terrestrial set up.

I made sure I was right on the species before making myself look stupid and he did confirm it was a versi. And when I made an observation about the enclosure set up

IMG_3831.PNG

What threw me off was his mention of it's size and it got me wondering (as I am still learning) are slings arboreal from birth.

To me it sounds stupid that they wouldn't be as I couldn't imagine an adult creating an egg sac in a tree then 100s of spiders crawling down to the ground. But then there's a lot to learn so who knows.

Btw that last comment he wrote only just came through but thought I'd add just to show the difference in knowledge and maturity between this forum and Facebook.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That last comment really made me laugh out loud.
Many arboreal Ts will burrow as slings but others will web the tops of their enclosure so I'd always give them the option.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I think they are indeed arboreal from birth. I haven’t seen his setup but I assume the point he’s trying to make is that the height of the enclosure relative to the sling’s size is good. If there is extra length, it would be wasted, but it wouldn’t hurt an arboreal T.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMG_3832.PNG

As good a picture as I can get from the video. I wouldn't imagine it's harmful for it to be in terrestrial set up but I don't understand why

Nunua

3 Year Member
That last comment really made me laugh out loud.
Many arboreal Ts will burrow as slings but others will web the tops of their enclosure so I'd always give them the option.
I always laugh at how e.g. Poecolitheria spp. have long legs and huge scopula pads for excellent climbing experience, but prefer hiding in a hole when slings :D

Anyway, this is how I have my versi sling at the moment. Seems to be perfectly happy with the setup, and has begun doing some vertical web tunnels as well. Plenty of wasted space atm, but that's how it has decided to be - It still enjoys roaming around the whole enclosure. Black lid blocks out the light so Sreaky has a nice and dark hiding place in the heights. The top was even more webbed up, but I tore part of it down so it wouldn't block the entire thing incl. the water dish.

ad7f2c3540.png
89fcd23a6d.png

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jamie's tarantulas has a wonderful juvenile enclosure that your versicolor would just love. She gives you all the substrate and decor as well.

The only thing you would need to change is to get an elevated waterdish.

The Jamie's cage is crystal clear from all angles and is ideal for photography and feeding videos as well.

(You do know that your Ts need to have regular feeding videos uploaded here to survive right ;) l

If you're paranoid about escape attempts, you can adda feeding port as well but that's DIY. Jamie doesn't offer that as an option.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jamie's makes a wonderful juvenile enclosure that is crystal clear from all angles. Here's how I made mine even better.

I also put in some other tricks and tools that I use as well.

Anyway, enjoy the video.

Latest posts