• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm getting my first tarantula, i need help.

Pinapol7

Hi, i'm new to this forum. i'm getting my first tarantula soon (mexican red knee) and i need help finding the right enclosure for it. I need to know if this terrarium i found online is alright, in terms of size, ventilation, etc

Attachments

• IMG-20210123-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210123-WA0002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 18

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Enclosure size is dependent on the size of the spider you are getting. Is it going to be spiderling(sling), juvenile or (sub) adult?
Brachypelma hamorii is a terrestrial tarantula and will need floor space rather than height as far as enclosure is concerned.
The rule of thumb is enclosure size should be lenght 3x your spider DLS(Diagonal leg span) width 2x DLS and no more than 1.5DLS as height.
So for spider with 3 inch DLS enclosure will be sth like 9 inch in lenght x 6 inch in width and 4-5 inch in height(from substrate to the top of the enclosure) if you get deeper enclosure you will need to put more substrate in to make it safe.
Regards Konstantin

Revant

It really does depend if you are getting a sling, a juvenile, or an adult T. That's an 11 Liter tank, just shy of 3 gallons. MUCH too big for a sling or 2 inch juvie, fine for an adult. Don't want too, too much space for a sling, otherwise you'll have a hard time tracking where it goes and your sling will have trouble hunting food with so much room to run around.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It really does depend if you are getting a sling, a juvenile, or an adult T. That's an 11 Liter tank, just shy of 3 gallons. MUCH too big for a sling or 2 inch juvie, fine for an adult. Don't want too, too much space for a sling, otherwise you'll have a hard time tracking where it goes and your sling will have trouble hunting food with so much room to run around.
Here are a two sling containers, as an example
PXL_20210204_013157959.MP.jpg

The amac box on the left is roughly 2x3x3 inch and houses my now 1" LP sling

The 1oz condiment cup on the left has a 1/4" Tlitocatl albopilosus sling in it

The less space the better so you can control feeding/watering when they are smaller, IMO

16124027321597083892689605341857.jpg