• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm getting a little nervous....

Calico

3 Year Member
So I haven't seen Cal, my A.Chalcodes since the beginning of November when I opened up his burrow "door" to check on him. Since then he has retreated back into the burrow, not to be seen again. I removed the opening again and it looks like he has sealed up the whole area. There are no other entrances. I am really concerned. I know everyone says they haven't seen theirs in months but it is a little scary to think he may or may not be alive.
Should I just let it go and hope for the best? If his burrow caved in, would he be able to dig himself out? Should I drop a cricket in and see if he senses it and comes out? I'm thinking of lifting the slab over his burrow so I can check. But I'm afraid of what I might find. I fill his water at least 3 times a week, it's never empty.
Ohhh this T ownership is becoming stressful!!!
Please help ease my mind!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can go months on end without seeing some of mine and yes, it can be stressful but usually they are fine. I'd drop a cricket in and leave it overnight and see what happens, remove it if Cal doesn't eat it.
In case of a burrow collapse, yes, it can dig its way out but their burrows are so well constructed with web that it very rarely happens.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not seeing it since November isn't very long for a A. Chalcodes. As for feeding...once they bury themselves I don't introduce food again till they come out. That shows you that they are hunting for food. How big is Cal???

Calico

3 Year Member
Not seeing it since November isn't very long for a A. Chalcodes. As for feeding...once they bury themselves I don't introduce food again till they come out. That shows you that they are hunting for food. How big is Cal???

He's about 2.5-3" Unless he's molted again....

Calico

3 Year Member
I wouldn't worry then...he's beyond the fragile sling stage. This species is gonna teach you patience...:D Just keep up with the water as you are already doing. Magical things are happening!!!:)

He is definitely doing that! It just seems like forever. However, the last time he went into hiding he came out bigger and more handsome. So I'll just bide my time and see what emerges. Thanks for the assurances.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Wouldn''t worry too much. I haven't seen my A.chalcodes for a few months now too. My A.Hentzi has been in her burrow since october too. Think it's just hibernation time for the American T species. I just make sure there's always water available and wait for them to come out before feeding.

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
I once haven't seen one of mine for nearly a year. Just let it come out in it's own time. Just make sure to spray the tank once/twice a week. Eventually it will come out, don't worry.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
FWIW: my 4” A. Chalcodes emerged from its burrow after 2 months, ate for 2 weeks, and now is in fast for 7 months and still going. She behaves normally and has a big booty. Echo Arachnoclown: “This species is gonna teach you patience.”
P.S. If she were dead, the tank would start to smell.

Latest posts