• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

i'm finally getting new T's. i wanna ask you guys something. :p

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
what should i get?
i'll introduce myself to the world of arboreal T's. :p
Avicularia sp peru purple (peru purple pink toe)2cm or
Avicularia laeta (puerto rican tree spider) 2.25cm
Tapinauchenius gigas (red tree spider) 1inch
Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus(metallic tree spider) 2.25cm
OR
recommend other arboreal T's. :p

what do you guys think? i really want to get an avic. avic a GBB and an OBT but the dealer doesn't sell them. :\

Atx13

3 Year Member
I'd say go with an Avic. avic. or a Psalmopoeus of some sort to start... Tappies are harder to keep and care for than Pokies... Fast, and aggressive..

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
i really don't care about aggressiveness. :p i'm looking for an avic. avic. but i couldn't find one. how about the A. laeta? are they really different from each other?

Atx13

3 Year Member
The A.laeta is a bit on the grouchy side, from what i've heard... never owned one personally.

Cobalt

3 Year Member
Get whatever you feel comfortable getting. The tappies are really fast and i doubt you'll see it much.

Aviularia sp peru purple is beautiful and a rather big avic..they can grow up to 6-7 inches. I'd get the peru purple.

A. laeta is basically a greyish A. avic. Not much difference, there aren't alot of caresheets out there of this sp. but i'd assume you'd keep it just like other avics.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For a first arboreal I would definitely stick with the Avics just to get a feel for the care requirements (just my opinion of course), as far as which Avic out of those you mentioned I would probably go with the peru. They are very pretty and quite a bit less defensive than the laeta. Though I would really love to have either of them in my collection...but then I LOVE avics :D Like others have stated, the avics are probably going to be a bit more forgiving care wise as well.

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
thanks guys! i think i'm gonna get the sp peru. :p i found a 0.1.0 and 0.0.1 GBB. both for 3000. about 73 usd according to google. is that a good deal?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In Canada Avicularia sp. Peru goes for around $25 for 1.25" and GBB around $55 for .75". So that's $80 CDN which works out to be $78.93 US. If that helps :)

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
so. my friend wanna sell me a 2 inch B. emilia, 5 inch B. boehmi, and a 3 inch P. regalis with a free enclosure for the regalis for the same price as those 2 GBBs. i want the GBBs, but i thought that was a better deal. plus no risk of getting DOA with no insurance from the dealer. the shipping companies here handles shipments like everything's are unbreakable. i saw that when mt slings didn't arrive and i had to pick it up from them. they just throw those poor bags around/to the other side of the room. i even saw 1 guy shoot 2 bags to a basket like he was shooting a basketball.

Cobalt

3 Year Member
A 5 inch b. boehmei in Norway is 400 dollars in pet stores...can't even imagine what a p. metallica or a m. balfouri would cost!!