• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm concerned :/

vmrcox

3 Year Member
Hello, everyone. This is my first time on this site, but I've skipped the introduction forum for the moment to ask some rather urgent questions regarding my pink toe. (Sorry, it's going to be a long post)

I bought her from Petco about two weeks ago. I normally love the staff at this particular Petco, but I have to admit they were pretty unprofessional when transferring my T. They used a small cardboard box with no lid and a pencil to push her out of her enclosure and attempt to make her climb into the tank I brought with me. However, instead, she crawled onto one employee's hand. He became afraid and flung her off his wrist. She hit the ground from about four feet in the air. They picked her back up with the cardboard box and a clear liquid started leaking out, but I couldn't see from where. They assured me that she was fine and that she probably just "peed from fright". I had serious doubts, but I took her home anyway with a 30 day warranty since I had had my eye on this spider for quite some time and had a fondness for her.
Since then, I have checked every day for any places she might be leaking or have leg damage and I have not seen anything out of the ordinary. She spent her first two nights walking around the walls of her enclosure in circles nonstop. I did not see her sit still for more than ten minutes at a time. I decided she would do better in a taller enclosure with more places to climb, so I moved her to a bigger tank. After the move, she has sat in the same corner without moving for about twelve days. She has not eaten anything. She doesn't appear to be dehydrated, but I have not seen her move toward her water dish. She has not made any sort of web. She holds one leg in the air and I have tried to tap it to see if she'll move, but she doesn't seem to notice at all.

Is she still getting used to the new, bigger tank? Or do you think she might be suffering internal injuries from her fall?

I've only been in the hobby for about three months (I have two other Ts). I've done as much research as I could, but I think I'm still too inexperienced to know absolutely if she's alright.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello, everyone. This is my first time on this site, but I've skipped the introduction forum for the moment to ask some rather urgent questions regarding my pink toe. (Sorry, it's going to be a long post)

I bought her from Petco about two weeks ago. I normally love the staff at this particular Petco, but I have to admit they were pretty unprofessional when transferring my T. They used a small cardboard box with no lid and a pencil to push her out of her enclosure and attempt to make her climb into the tank I brought with me. However, instead, she crawled onto one employee's hand. He became afraid and flung her off his wrist. She hit the ground from about four feet in the air. They picked her back up with the cardboard box and a clear liquid started leaking out, but I couldn't see from where. They assured me that she was fine and that she probably just "peed from fright". I had serious doubts, but I took her home anyway with a 30 day warranty since I had had my eye on this spider for quite some time and had a fondness for her.
Since then, I have checked every day for any places she might be leaking or have leg damage and I have not seen anything out of the ordinary. She spent her first two nights walking around the walls of her enclosure in circles nonstop. I did not see her sit still for more than ten minutes at a time. I decided she would do better in a taller enclosure with more places to climb, so I moved her to a bigger tank. After the move, she has sat in the same corner without moving for about twelve days. She has not eaten anything. She doesn't appear to be dehydrated, but I have not seen her move toward her water dish. She has not made any sort of web. She holds one leg in the air and I have tried to tap it to see if she'll move, but she doesn't seem to notice at all.

Is she still getting used to the new, bigger tank? Or do you think she might be suffering internal injuries from her fall?

I've only been in the hobby for about three months (I have two other Ts). I've done as much research as I could, but I think I'm still too inexperienced to know absolutely if she's alright.
View attachment 11359
What's the set-up like? Being arboreal the tarantula should be in a tall enclosure and have something to climb on and attach webbing to ,such as a slab of cork bark. Touching it is definitely not going to help anything and will likely just stress it out more. I keep Avics with lots of cross-ventilation and no misting, just a water dish.

The abdomen looks pretty plump. Might just be approaching a molt.

vmrcox

3 Year Member
What's the set-up like? Being arboreal the tarantula should be in a tall enclosure and have something to climb on and attach webbing to ,such as a slab of cork bark. Touching it is definitely not going to help anything and will likely just stress it out more. I keep Avics with lots of cross-ventilation and no misting, just a water dish.

The abdomen looks pretty plump. Might just be approaching a molt.

I have a 5.5 gallon tank with EcoEarth coconut fiber substrate, a water dish (no misting), a fake plant, an unused wooden paint-stirring stick and a thoroughly washed glass bottle that are angled for climbing on. Should I find more "natural" things for her to climb on instead?

I have yet to experience a molt with any of my tarantulas, so I'm not entirely sure of the signs yet. Thank you, that's relieving to hear.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't think glass is really ideal for a tarantula. Cork bark is really the best thing to use.

Here's my enclosure for my Avicularia sp. "amazonica" (Amazon Giant Pink Toe)
uploadfromtaptalk1444791183531.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@vmrcox ,
I think that if she had serious internal injuries she probably would have died by now. my avic avic sits around a lot. they are running around while u r sleeping. just because u dont see her drink doesnt mean she isnt going to. The best thing u can do for her is to leave her be, make sure she always has water and offer her food from time to time until she eats. ( every week or 2)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So how's she doing? You don't need cork bark or anything else, Avics web to the enclosure, every one of mine does anyway, I just give them a plastic plant for anchor points. Cork bark won't hurt but I've tried it and none of mine were interested in it. Also, occasional misting or flooding won't hurt, just do it very rarely, and as people have said, ventilation is the key to avics being in good health. I have two avics that fast almost as bad as some terrestrial species, don't worry, if they're hungry they'll eat. She may be having trouble from the trauma, be in premolt, or just not like the prey item...try half killed, just maim the cricket, or try superworms, my Avics love them, except for one of them. That said, I would have walked away when the idiot flung the spider on the ground. Sometimes you'll find a chain store with decent care for these guys, mostly you'll find arachnophobic dummies like that. Then again, you'll be the best bet for helping that spider live, so just don't stress on it, do what you can for the spider and take comfort in your efforts on it's behalf. It's too bad you have to start with an early experience like this, don't let it get you down. Avics are tougher then people give them credit for.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@OP Cork bark is a good thing to have as it gives them something to anchor webbing to and climb on. You can use that or a branch made of similar material, but I definitely recommend putting something like that in. The more anchor points the better.

vmrcox

3 Year Member
My warranty is up in a couple of days, so I called the store I bought her from and requested an appointment with the exotic animal vet just to be sure (it was part of the guarantee in the warranty). This morning she did actually move from the corner she had been sitting in for so long, so my hopes are that she's doing alright. Since my warranty ends, I decided to exchange her for a different pink toe while mine is being looked at by the vet (in case there is something seriously wrong with mine, I still have a spider for the money I paid), but I asked the store manager to call me once she's been examined. If she's deemed to be fine, I said I would buy her again. So, fingers crossed! The new pink toe is currently in the same location as the previous and has already eaten and built a web. This one is also hanging out toward the middle of the enclosure, so I don't believe ventilation was the problem.
Thanks for all of your help - all of your replies have eased my mind tremendously. I figured I should take advantage of the vet consultation since Petco's willing to pay for it. I'm just waiting for the phone call to bring her back home!

For future reference, do most people buy their tarantulas from stores or is ordering online a better option? If I decide to eventually add another spider to my little family, I'd like to avoid a situation like this again, so I was just wondering what's best.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My warranty is up in a couple of days, so I called the store I bought her from and requested an appointment with the exotic animal vet just to be sure (it was part of the guarantee in the warranty). This morning she did actually move from the corner she had been sitting in for so long, so my hopes are that she's doing alright. Since my warranty ends, I decided to exchange her for a different pink toe while mine is being looked at by the vet (in case there is something seriously wrong with mine, I still have a spider for the money I paid), but I asked the store manager to call me once she's been examined. If she's deemed to be fine, I said I would buy her again. So, fingers crossed! The new pink toe is currently in the same location as the previous and has already eaten and built a web. This one is also hanging out toward the middle of the enclosure, so I don't believe ventilation was the problem.
Thanks for all of your help - all of your replies have eased my mind tremendously. I figured I should take advantage of the vet consultation since Petco's willing to pay for it. I'm just waiting for the phone call to bring her back home!

For future reference, do most people buy their tarantulas from stores or is ordering online a better option? If I decide to eventually add another spider to my little family, I'd like to avoid a situation like this again, so I was just wondering what's best.
Exotic animal vet? I don't want to make this any harder for you, but these vets specialize in reptiles, amphibians, birds etc. So little is really known about tarantula anatomy, that they're probably not going to be able to help you much if at all. A tarantula isn't really an animal that can be operated on or given medications.

Ordering online is a better option. The people are more knowledgeable.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I've gotten a few from pet stores, never had an issue. That said, I've gotten a whole lot from forum classifieds and independent sellers/breeders. I like to think it helps our hobby out the most to buy from one of these guys. The best deals I've gotten have been from individuals on forum classifieds, but you'll find the best selection from the big online dealers, like Swifts and netbug and Kenthebugguy. All of these are likely a much better place to buy spiders, because they're captive bred most of the time, and it supports the hobby, and the people involved in it. But you can still have a good experience in a pet store, mostly mom and pop places, but the big stores like petco and petsmart sometimes have decent care for them, if not ideal..just depends on the person working in the reptile department. They're not all idiots, and some will even listen and change their care habits if you talk with them. I'm glad you're going back for the hurt Avic, Good luck !

vmrcox

3 Year Member
I've gotten a few from pet stores, never had an issue. That said, I've gotten a whole lot from forum classifieds and independent sellers/breeders. I like to think it helps our hobby out the most to buy from one of these guys. The best deals I've gotten have been from individuals on forum classifieds, but you'll find the best selection from the big online dealers, like Swifts and netbug and Kenthebugguy. All of these are likely a much better place to buy spiders, because they're captive bred most of the time, and it supports the hobby, and the people involved in it. But you can still have a good experience in a pet store, mostly mom and pop places, but the big stores like petco and petsmart sometimes have decent care for them, if not ideal..just depends on the person working in the reptile department. They're not all idiots, and some will even listen and change their care habits if you talk with them. I'm glad you're going back for the hurt Avic, Good luck !

Good to know. I live in the middle of nowhere Nebraska, so finding people around here who share my love for creepy crawly things is near impossible. I've tried looking for a decent breeder or store in-state, but with no luck so far. I think from now on, I might go the online route. Are there many differences between the dealers you mentioned? My roommate's birthday is in a couple weeks and I know he'd love another spider. So far we have Aphonopelma seemanni, Avic avic, and a G. rosea (hopefully I spelled all of those right - I'm still trying to learn these scientific names ha). Do you have suggestions on what to get next?
Also, I did get a call from the Petco manager and the vet said my Avic will probably be fine, but they'd like to watch her for a couple weeks more just to be sure before I get her back!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good to know. I live in the middle of nowhere Nebraska, so finding people around here who share my love for creepy crawly things is near impossible. I've tried looking for a decent breeder or store in-state, but with no luck so far. I think from now on, I might go the online route. Are there many differences between the dealers you mentioned? My roommate's birthday is in a couple weeks and I know he'd love another spider. So far we have Aphonopelma seemanni, Avic avic, and a G. rosea (hopefully I spelled all of those right - I'm still trying to learn these scientific names ha). Do you have suggestions on what to get next?
Also, I did get a call from the Petco manager and the vet said my Avic will probably be fine, but they'd like to watch her for a couple weeks more just to be sure before I get her back!
That's great news on the avic. I always recommend GBBs to people.. One of my favorite, if not THE favorite in my collection. They're gorgeous, great eaters, they grow kind of fast, and they will web an enclosure up and make it look wicked..plus they don't hide all the time. At least my two don't..:)

vector

3 Year Member
I bought mine from petco too . the staff was really informative on feeding and temperature. She also showed me how to carefully handle the avic avic.

Latest posts