• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Identification

Kazegal

Hello everyone!

I have been lucky enough to receive a haul of 11 tarantulas for free. There was a list upfront of the several species, but once I arrived to pick the haul up, near to none of them were labelled. Some of them were easy enough to recognize and match with the list:
0.1 A. metallica
0.1 Nhandu chromatus (this one was labelled, but is also easy to recognize)
0.1 B. hamorii (this one was mislabelled as B. smithi on the list)
0.1 B. emilia
0.1 L. parahybana
0.1 A. seemanni

Unfortunately I have also run into difficulties matching some of the tarantulas to the list. I have tried to take some clear pictures and am hoping some of you may chime in.

Two particular tarantulas on the list were:
G. rosea
G. sp.
Pictured below.
bszM0nn.jpg

Lb3kXMN.jpg

Both look like G. rosea to me, although the top one better matches the rosea I already had.

Also on the list was a Tliltocatl albopilosum, a tarantula of which I also already own one. I am however having difficulties matching any of the new tarantulas to my existing T. albo. Below are two pictures of two different new tarantulas I am having a hard time identifying:
RZ30bjb.jpg

rJNZLSN.jpg

And for good measure here is a picture of the juvenile T. albo I already have:
oeO0GHz.jpg

Last unidentified tarantula that I am having a hard time linking to the list is this one:
Vdqgh79.jpg

The tarantulas on the list that I can't link to any of my pictures are:
0.1 A. chalcodes
0.1 E. weijenberghi

Any input on these five hard to identify species would be great. An important disclaimer is that I will not breed any tarantulas which I cannot with certainty identify!

As a bonus I also took a picture of the B.emilia:
uBBFlbB.jpg

and also of the B. hamorii (which was said to be B. smithi, but the carapace and knee colors don't match up with smithi):
72TVnC3.jpg

All in all I am very happy to have gotten these for free and as they say I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. I personally always make a point of labelling each enclosure as soon as the tarantula is in it. You never know when I might get sick (or worse, die) and someone has the job of trying to identify each one of these critters.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Your Tliltocatl albopilosum is Nicaraguan the one in question looks Honduran to me. The other one I'm not too sure. Maybe @sdsnybny can help identify it for you.
Your definitely right about the hamorii, the brown bands on the Chelicerae are a dead giveaway it being a hamorii. The rosea looks correct to me as well. There was a Grammostola sp. Out there at one time but I dont recall what it looked like or if in was renamed or what.

Kazegal

Thanks! Which of the two did you mean by the rosea? Those are two different tarantulas. The top one, not on a white background, is the aggressive one while the other is the calm, sensible one. That is also the reason for the top one not being on the white backdrop. I always read about G. rosea that are crazy and now I actually have a crazy one!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
To me, a newbie, the first and third ones seem to have more similarities.

Kazegal

Thanks for all the replies! I have now noticed very skittish leg behaviour in the tarantula from the top most picture and from the tarantula in the picture above the B. emilia. I'm pretty sure it's DKS (my first two cases since I lost two B. albo back in 2008). Both are well fed so I'm going to be hoping for a full recovery after a molt.

The unidentified one with DKS is already in an enclosure of mine. The rosea is in an enclosure I received (and cleaned), but that is already beaten up, which I am going to replace in the very near future.

Kazegal

A small update.

Unfortunately this one passed away overnight yesterday.
Vdqgh79.jpg

I never did figure out which one this was. Had everything available to her, became very lethargic during the weekend. Inspected the tarantula and found nothing externally wrong. I have no idea of the age of the tarantula, but it could well have been age.

All other tarantulas are still doing good. One of the grammostola is still very twitchy when moving, but is doing fine otherwise. Spotted it drinking from a waterbowl over the weekend. Tried feeding him at the beginning of last month, refused. Did not try since, it is still fat so I'm guessing a molt might be imminent.