• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ideas about altering ZooMeds Creature enclosures to make them tarantula safe?

Isabella

Recently I was gifted both ZooMed Creatures enclosures (Pictures included). The tops on both are a wire mesh screen top, which is a big no-no for tarantulas. One of my big questions is if anyone knows if these enclosures are made of glass or acrylic? How would I make both of these enclosures safe for my tarantulas?

Attachments

• 20200102_104508.jpg
    20200102_104508.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20200102-104358_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200102-104358_Chrome.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 19

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The terrestrial enclosure they make are low profile. If you had 4" of substrate the spider could still touch the ground.
Personally in almost 40 years in the hobby I've never seen a spider of mine stuck. Or have I bought a enclosure with such a crappy screen that would increase the likelihood of it getting stuck. I agree these these enclosures have nice screens.
15780034823947185554784537657472.jpg
As for the arboreal enclosures...arboreals dont get stuck. Not a issue.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I've looked into the issue with mesh screens a lot in the past.

If the screen is the same as Rs50matt and Arachnoclown say, the t won't get stuck at all. It is the mesh screens made out of strips of metal overlapping each other that causes the issue as where they overlap, you get a tight v shape. And it's there in that tight overlap that tarsal claws get stuck. However, the screen shown above is just holes cut into one sheet of metal, so you don't have the overlap that traps tarsal claws.

Isabella

Thank you everyone, I was really worried. I have not seen the screens in person yet as I still have to pick them up from my friends. My other reptile cages from zoomed have the screen tops with overlapping wire.

Latest posts