• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID the AF pokie!

T-Baby

3 Year Member
Got a picture of her underside and a different picture of her drinking.
I do not keep Pokies and the guy couldn’t remember what she was.
E4B8D14B-6DEF-4897-A273-4604A28F6803.jpeg
79BD0BBD-B07A-487A-A30B-45200210A8D5.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you could get a cleaner shot through glass that would be ideal. Like this....
20201007_131512.jpg

I thought this had already been ID'd in Media. JS31 said 100% vittata and several other agreed.
If it's any help this was our AF vittata.

View attachment 50267
@Enn49 from a top view its just a guess. Theres 2 other species with similar top markings. To positively i.d. a Poecilotheria ventral leg markings is the only positive way to be sure.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah, that ventral shot leaves a lot to be desired. From what I saw of the carapace in the media pic, I'd say striata, but the carapace isn't a great way to ID. Look at legs 1 and 4 ventrally. If one and a half legs are yellow, it's striata. If only half a leg is yellow, vittata. Vittata also has a clear line along the ventral femur connecting a black bracelet to the underside of the prosoma. Striata doesn't have that line. There are other things you can look at, but those are pretty quick ones to spot.

Thistles

3 Year Member
As it is, I say striata over vittata, just to clarify. The carapace and some of the banding I can see on leg 4 are what I'm going by.
Ugh, the banding I was looking at was not the right pic. Time for bed, Thistles. I don't know how to edit/delete my stuff in this new forum format, so just ignore that prior post. Or teach me how to kill it.

Latest posts