• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I think we have a mistake

Beowulf68

So long story short, my son calls me and said he has a new T. But he does not think it's a chaco golden knee G. Pulchripes as sold for a measly 20 dollars. To me it looks almost like a T. Blondi? So just take a look and I will see if he can get more pics. He said its extremely defensive.

20200111_155900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Beowulf68

Oh my specialty is old worlds @Jess. His college will not allow the 30 something Ts he has at my place. And having an P. Regalis roll up your arm at light speed brings things into perspective

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So long story short, my son calls me and said he has a new T. But he does not think it's a chaco golden knee G. Pulchripes as sold for a measly 20 dollars. To me it looks almost like a T. Blondi? So just take a look and I will see if he can get more pics. He said its extremely defensive.
Poor little fella...needs some wet substrate soon.:oops:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry a bit late to this. Yes you have a Stirmi (result), assume the enclosure has been swapped out now but yes that was far too small and dry. Stirmi get up to about 10 to 11inch DLS when fully grown and do require a lot of substrate to burrow in and also higher humidity than most. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation as well as higher humidity encourages mould. To help keep mould away I would also just use coconut fibre (coir) as this tends to keep mould away better than the sub that has top soil mix and other things in it. If you say normal humidity in yours is about 70% and 70 something temps, then you should be fine with that.
In Summary. All the advice in previous posts and ID is spot on and you got a much more interesting and expensive T for your money so the 'mistake' was a good one :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to spoil the party but if it were me I'd much prefer the G. Pulchripes over a stirmi anyday:p but that's just personal opinion - have both species and find the pulchripes a far more interesting T
A good deal was had for the price that was paid though.. Good luck with the new addition :)

spodermin

Sorry to spoil the party but if it were me I'd much prefer the G. Pulchripes over a stirmi anyday:p but that's just personal opinion - have both species and find the pulchripes a far more interesting T
A good deal was had for the price that was paid though.. Good luck with the new addition :)

Regardless of your preference you could sell that stirmi and buy 2 or 3 pulchripes if you wanted

... that being said you're nuts man Stirmi are crazy cool spiders

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Regardless of your preference you could sell that stirmi and buy 2 or 3 pulchripes if you wanted

... that being said you're nuts man Stirmi are crazy cool spiders
As said before it was a good deal for the price paid and I'm sure most people would have bought it if offered
We have a stirmi as part of an overall T collection so it's nice to have it - it's not that I dislike them at all I appreciate it for what it is... I just feel that a lot of people are in awe of them due to there size and being aggressive feeders... They are not for everyone though and it's a personal choice to what is preferred as a first choice or favourite :) whenever anyone disagrees with the all round view that stirmis are the best most awesome T to have they always get called out on it.. Well I'm one of those people ;)

spodermin

As said before it was a good deal for the price paid and I'm sure most people would have bought it if offered
We have a stirmi as part of an overall T collection so it's nice to have it - it's not that I dislike them at all I appreciate it for what it is... I just feel that a lot of people are in awe of them due to there size and being aggressive feeders... They are not for everyone though and it's a personal choice to what is preferred as a first choice or favourite :) whenever anyone disagrees with the all round view that stirmis are the best most awesome T to have they always get called out on it.. Well I'm one of those people ;)

My personal opinion is that you must have a collection, as there are so many Ts great for their own reason. I dont have a favorite, but stirmi is a must have due to the size and ferocity