• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I suspect my GBB has been infested with mold. PLEASE HELP

Johnnytarny

My year and a half or so old Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens has been doing quite fine for awhile but 3 or 4 days ago I found mold in it's enclosure.
I made a stupid decision by putting small wooden statues in the new home I gave it 2 months ago.
The mold appeared on both small statues. I immediately removed the t and changed it's substrate, and now have it in what my reading shows people call an 'ICU' ; a plastic container with some tissues to absorb any further moisture.
I have the new substrate out waiting to get dry. Tomorrow I'll just pout it in the oven.

Anyway, my t is acting strange it appears highly fatigued and submissive. Recently it's been showing aggression but now suddenly I can do anything to it.
In addition, the legs seem odd. There are larger gaps than usual between each part of the legs, and they are looking out at random positions. This is how I initially noticed a change.
I then proceeded to prod it to check it's gait and appears to walk fine, just not at all aggressive, and doesn't even shake any hairs.
I see some ppl recommended anti fungul powder but of course I'd be glad for some suggestions.
The pictures below display the spaces present between each leg structure, and also the weird leg placement. It is also very shaky and seems not to be able to support it's weight.
Help save my T!
Great thanks,
Johnny

Attachments

• received_2444441865793355.jpeg
    received_2444441865793355.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 42
  • received_1103495106708722.jpeg
    received_1103495106708722.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 43

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some wood seem to be more prone to mould than others. Cork bark and things like Mopani wood are fine.
Your T could just be suffering from stress caused by being rehoused a couple of times. My advice is to get It onto dry substrate as soon as you can and get rid of those wooden statues and then leave it in peace for a few days.
ICUs are not recommended so much these days as they cause more stress to the T.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Extremely doubtful it has been harmed by the mould. Most likely dehydration and poor ventilation in the ICU put it out of shape, coupled with the stress of the rehousings.

Drying substrate in the oven (unless extremely low heat) could actually lead to more mould later down the line, as the heat can kill off beneficial bacteria that keep mould in check.

If you have your central heating on, you could try putting the substrate in containers and placing on top of your radiators to dry it out overnight. Besides, a little moisture in the substrate may help your sling recover if dehydrated.

Latest posts